"Terraform" Earth, is it possible?

Xionanx

Oct 22, 2013
Here's the background:

I am trying to make a "Challenge" pack in which the "Earth" has been turned into a wasteland and needs to be rebuilt to sufficiently to support "Suit Free" life.

What I want to do:

Make "Earth" have no breathable atmosphere such that going anyone on the planet will require an oxygen mask, but not necessarily be "air tight".. think "Atmosphere made primarily of CO2" but there is still an atmosphere. I then want to be able to slowly convert, via tasks, the atmosphere to "Breathable".

What I want to know is:

Does GC have a system in place to use commands/blocks/etc to convert an entire dimension to breathable/not breathable. IE, I'm sure there is a "Setting" somewhere that makes the "moon" not breathable, so can that be applied to "Earth" and then later "Flipped" via a command, changing earth from not breathable, to breathable.

----ASKING TOO MUCH BELOW THIS POINT?---- Never hurts to ask?

The "Optimal" situation would be a display showing:

Air Pressure as a scale where 1 ATM is standard earth pressure at sea level. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambient_pressure)
Air "Makeup" percent, comprised of what gasses makeup the "Air" on the planet. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosphere_of_Earth)

Using the above stats, a player would not be able to "breath" when the ATM dropped below 0.30 without some kind of breathing aid, in addition the O2 percent would need to be 20% or better for "normal" function.

I picture implementing "Fatigue" (more hunger use) at lower ATM levels and varying degrees of "Damage" to the player per tick when the air quality drops below 20% O2 (or perhaps some deadly gas like CO1 makes up more then a negligible percent of the atmosphere.. IE even at 80% oxygen, 20% CO1 would kill you..)

Implemented in such a way that the "Entire Dimension" has a minimum of two stats stacked on it: ATM and O2 %. Which, every tick will be checked via GC to see if it meets the minimum breathable requirements, and if not.. (effect).

Then, implement a "Machine" that allows for the conversion of the entire dimension by:

Converting solids/liquids gases to increase the ATM (perhaps also some HIGH level tech that the player is required to bury at the planet core to increase its "Gravity" -- OR the reverse in the case of planets like Venus with a high ATM)

Using "trees/plants" to increase the O2 levels..

----Idea Reiterated----

Again, the idea is to start on a world that has been polluted to the point that it is not "safe" to breathe, and then fixing it. If this is already "Doable" with GC using commands I would like some education on how to do so. I would think it "IS" since by default you CAN breath on earth and CANT on the moon.. so simply flipping whatever setting turns that on/off should be simple matter... but then comes the part of using HQM or AOP to flip it back once the "Quest/Goal" has been met..

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
That's not possible in Galacticraft currently. It might be something one of the Add-On makers would find interesting, you should ask them.

My first thought is it would not be too difficult to have variable atmosphere components for planets, over time. But currently they are fixed and hard-coded into the game (there's not a setting to change them). Maybe something we can look at for GC4.

Xionanx

Oct 22, 2013
Yeah, maybe I'm asking this wrong.

Maybe rather then a DIM flag that changes the DIM, instead have a "Player" Flag that checks what DIM they are in whether that "Player" has done the needed tasks to breathe in that dimension.. in this way a MP server could allow Player A to breath and Player B to choke to death while standing next to each other because A has done the needed "Task" to set the air "right".