Tether/Safety Harness

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
Because it wouldn't be spam if it was something that had a point.
Let me try to fix that for you:
That's better? Oh, you forgot to say that the 1st letter needs to be capitalized.
Perfect!

Now @Dinammar: find a farmland and stay there please?

On-topic: I like the suggestion. And if we had tethers, jetpacks and other ways to move around the space stations could be fully zero-gravity.

coinreturn

Jan 12, 2014
I suggest adding tethers to the mod. They would work like leash for animals but would tie yourself to blocks, this prevents astronauts from drifting while working on things outside of a building (Would be really useful for adding on to a space station) I love to keep adding on to my space station and I've always wished for something like that. I suspect artificial gravity will be added so it'd be more useful for the beginning of space travel. However it could still be useful for later on in areas where you might not have artificial gravity yet and still remain useful.

I got the idea from the movie "Gravity" So for a visual representation I recommend watching that :)

Possible Feature Ideas:

- Durability (Using it to attach would use up one durability point or so)
- Maybe they only work on certain blocks containing some sort of latch/hook.
- Can pull yourself back towards where it's at, like a rope
- Can change the length

Vigilantecow

Oct 5, 2013
Some Place Cold
moonquest.com
Seeing as there is great risk of falling off of a space station I thought it may be useful and possibly simple to make a tether or safety harness. It could work in much the same way as a vanilla lead for mobs but you would attach one end to yourself and the other to a rail or other designated attachment point.

Of course you could sneak to prevent yourself from walking off the edge of a block, but this is a passive secondary safety feature in case your finger slips or you simply space out and let go. If you fall over the edge you would only fall a specified number of blocks (I figure 3 or 4) and would simply need to press W or SPACE to climb back up. When traversing the station you would need to detach the tether and reattach it to the next nearest rail/anchor.
I completely support this, and I imagine it wouldn't be too bad to code (I know nothing about coding, but still)

McMcPvpMC

Jan 19, 2014
Seeing as there is great risk of falling off of a space station I thought it may be useful and possibly simple to make a tether or safety harness. It could work in much the same way as a vanilla lead for mobs but you would attach one end to yourself and the other to a rail or other designated attachment point.

Of course you could sneak to prevent yourself from walking off the edge of a block, but this is a passive secondary safety feature in case your finger slips or you simply space out and let go. If you fall over the edge you would only fall a specified number of blocks (I figure 3 or 4) and would simply need to press W or SPACE to climb back up. When traversing the station you would need to detach the tether and reattach it to the next nearest rail/anchor.

Ill Add That In K

Douglas_Fresh

Sep 17, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
www.youtube.com
So there is a new gravity system on space stations in GC3 and some of this idea no longer applies. Primarily the falling and climbing back up part since you don't just fall now, you can also drift away. Instead of pressing W or SPACE to climb a tether (behaving like a ladder) I propose an alternative.

Since some movement now requires proximity to blocks to "push off of", perhaps when a tether is attached you can move easily without delay directly in the direction that the tether is attached to simulate you pulling the tether tight and therefore pulling yourself back toward the anchor point. This should only work TOWARD the anchor and in no other direction because you can't use a flexible rope to push away or sideways. Perhaps you could simply press SPACE and it would automatically pull you in no matter which way you are facing?

EDIT: In a sense this (the return portion) could work much like the grapple hook, but a passive version so you don't have to frantically whip around, aim, and hope you aren't already too far out of reach while freaking out hoping you're not lost forever...all within a matter of only seconds available to react.

Last edited:
Reactions: Benoni

IsoMS

Jul 26, 2013
*Canadaaaa
So there is a new gravity system on space stations in GC3 and some of this idea no longer applies. Primarily the falling and climbing back up part since you don't just fall now, you can also drift away. Instead of pressing W or SPACE to climb a tether (behaving like a ladder) I propose an alternative.

Since some movement now requires proximity to blocks to "push off of", perhaps when a tether is attached you can move easily without delay directly in the direction that the tether is attached to simulate you pulling the tether tight and therefore pulling yourself back toward the anchor point. This should only work TOWARD the anchor and in no other direction because you can't use a flexible rope to push away or sideways. Perhaps you could simply press SPACE and it would automatically pull you in no matter which way you are facing?

EDIT: In a sense this (the return portion) could work much like the grapple hook, but a passive version so you don't have to frantically whip around, aim, and hope you aren't already too far out of reach while freaking out hoping you're not lost forever...all within a matter of only seconds available to react.

Good to know.

MoltonMontro

Nov 4, 2013
If you must, I'll update my opinion.

With the current Space Station's gravity system, I find holding space and holding shift can be used to change my Y coordinates in space, thus never having to worry about falling off because my body is covered in thrusters. This makes the need for a Jetpack or Safety Harness for building lessen, but it'd still be a great and useful tool to have otherwise, maybe when our thrusters coating our body run out and we fly away forever.

Reactions: Benoni

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Interesting ideas ...

There is a jetpack in Mekanism by the way - the only problem is it doesn't work in space just yet, but that shouldn't be too hard to fix.

My intentions are:
1) Get the current 'vanilla' movement in space better, that mostly means jumping and landing.
2) As discussed here: https://github.com/micdoodle8/Galacticraft/issues/630 we might look at something where the player model can be tilted (away from the vertical) for more freedom of movement in freefall - I'm not sure about going all the way around and upside-down though, that could be too disorientating for some players.
3) Get the Mekanism jetpack working in space
4) Based on experience with that, see if we need our own jetpack.

I like this, but me + Micdoodle8 will need to think in some detail about whether it's going to be possible to implement. The main difficulty with the tether is you're going to need to see it in the game, and it's going to be a rope-like object filling many blocks - that's kinda hard to draw in Minecraft, though I guess there are fishing lines and tripwires so it's not impossible.