Tether/Safety Harness

Douglas_Fresh

Sep 17, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
www.youtube.com
Seeing as there is great risk of falling off of a space station I thought it may be useful and possibly simple to make a tether or safety harness. It could work in much the same way as a vanilla lead for mobs but you would attach one end to yourself and the other to a rail (edit: like a hand rail, not minecart rail) or other designated attachment point.

Of course you could sneak to prevent yourself from walking off the edge of a block, but this is a passive secondary safety feature in case your finger slips or you simply space out and let go. If you fall over the edge you would only fall a specified number of blocks (I figure 3 or 4) and would simply need to press W or SPACE to climb back up. When traversing the station you would need to detach the tether and reattach it to the next nearest rail/anchor due to its limited range.

Last edited:

MoltonMontro

Nov 4, 2013
Someone (ok several people) suggested a jet pack before which I certainly support, but I figured this may be simpler to implement, it would be cheaper/easier to craft, and it would be much more economical since you would not need to refuel it.
May be easier and cheaper, but still not as useful as a good ol' brand new jetpack, eh? Still useful for building under blocks when at a space station though, so.... Thumbs up to you!

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
There could be two items the tether works with. A rail and a spool block. The tether would just follow the player along the rail, but a spool block would reel the player in at the press of a button or when the tether gets tight or something.

You would put a Spool outside your airlock, so if you fall it drags you back to your airlock so you can get back inside.

These would even be useful in the overworld in certain situations.

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
I thought the same thing. When building a tall structure, skirting along the edge of a high cliff. It certainly could be useful any time falling is a significant danger.

Or having a vertical front door. Attach at the bottom and go straight up into your house. You'd have to be able to throw the tether down or something like that though to let people up.

Waggish

Sep 4, 2013
Amazing idea, little things count. Im guessing you where relating it to a lead so that you tie it to a fence and then it would keep you from falling away, there is one problem what happens if you fall downwards how are you suppose go higher, you would need what they use in real space flight and add a pressurized gas to push you around. But other then that I support!

Douglas_Fresh

Sep 17, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
www.youtube.com
Amazing idea, little things count. Im guessing you where relating it to a lead so that you tie it to a fence and then it would keep you from falling away, there is one problem what happens if you fall downwards how are you suppose go higher, you would need what they use in real space flight and add a pressurized gas to push you around. But other then that I support!

Yeah, I picture it working almost exactly like a lead with a different texture and shorter length. You would tie it to a rail, which could even be a fence with a different texture so that you don't have wood posts on a space station. I have the Ropes+ mod and if you've used that it might be easier to understand how the mechanics of climbing back up would work. The grappling hook from that mod drops a rope that basically acts like a ladder that you simply press W to climb up.

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth

If you fall, you could climb back up the tether. There's no (very little gravity) so it shouldn't be too hard. If you installed a spool instead of using a rail, it would reel you back in to where ever the spool was.

If you have modular power suits installed, you'll probably install the jetpack options on the suit. However, I can imagine the developer adding support for a spool option inside the suit. She seems to add tons of options to the suits to support other mods. That way you can have the rail and have the suit climb back up the tether if you fall/at the press of a button. A mobile spool.