The Solar System - increasing challenges (very long)

Kethrian

Sep 30, 2013
Flashy-3.. Do I understand you right? are you writing another mod that stands side by side with Galacticraft or is this part of Galacticraft.... or is this a competitor to Galacticraft?

Kethrian

Sep 30, 2013
Ahhhh cheers for clearing that up! Like I said I'm not into coding or anything like that, but I've been involved with several (very old) game designs, writing plot, skill/tech trees etc. I would love to contribute to this mod because it adds the one thing that every other minecraft mod has missed out on: a progressive adventure. If you like my ideas let me know how I can help!

Kethrian

Sep 30, 2013
I would love to put other kinds of mobs in, but my suggestions were totally based on the available mobs in vanilla and the most popular mods available. I could reel off 10 mob types for each planet that would require entirely new models, textures and behaviours, but would it be feasible?

Kethrian

Sep 30, 2013
Love most ideas, some seem odd to add to minecraft
If you're making a mod, I think the most important aspect is challenging/changing the original concept of the game to make it really different. A great example was Alien Swarm which took a single player 3D fps and turned it into a top down 4 player co-op bug shooter (which was actually better than the original game)

Vanilla minecraft gets dull fast after a few games because your progression is limited by technology. your first play through may be a few days, your longest may be a week or two! Add technology like gregtech and you have a huge end game goal which is achieved purely through building one machine upgrade after another while never having to move from your start position... Total play time before boredom sets in... maybe a month.

A mod like Galacticraft can do something very different... it can link all of its content with a kind of story, or progression, where you actually need to get off your ass, build a new base, and take the time to expand your playing area to achieve the next step in the story. You are pushed to explore and develop an entirely new world just to find a handful of rare ores or to kill a space boss mob to get a blueprint in order to progress. When the guys on my server hit the moon for the first time we spent 2 weeks perfecting oxygen systems, power plants and methods to fend off the space zombie hoards for about 2 weeks before we even ventured out to find a moon dungeon!

Expand that experience across the solar system with differing planetary challenges and you get a couple of months of play. Include moons, gas giants and other weird phenomenon, an end game boss, some hidden secrets and some "out of solar system" locations and you've got more content than most commercial MMOs!

Yes, some of my ideas seem odd, but I suggest them because if its possible, itll be a lot more fun than building the Mk7 Ore grinder by adding 200 diamonds to a Mk6 Rock crusher

Dex Luther

Aug 15, 2013
Montreal, Canada, Earth
2 things, if you have bluebells, its probably because of the naatura mod, and also you know how long a venus full day is? 243 earth days

A day on venus is 243 Earth days, and a year is 225. I find it somewhat hard to wrap my head around what that would be like. It also shows that Minecraft's day/night cycle can't be applied everywhere.

I kinda wish people would stop trying to draw parallels everywhere. Minecraft is a game set in a fictional place where blocks float in mid air and water only runs 7 blocks. People play it to escape reality. Making it feel more like a simulation kinda defeats the purpose.

That being said, it doesn't really matter how fast a planet rotates in the real world. Minecraft isn't Earth anyways nor should it be. The planets in GC just happen to share the same names and some similar characteristics. It's all a matter of coincidence though (and easier to draw inspiration from something you're familiar with).

Whenever Mitch implements the next planets, the arguments that the day/night cycle on it are wrong could easily be squashed by simply "a large asteroid hit the planet and changed it's speed of rotation" or my "it isn't the same planet" response.

And this:

You didn't need to necro an one month old thread.

Then again necroing is one of those things where you're damned if you do, and you're damned if you're don't.

If you don't, people tell you things have already been posted and to use the search function.

If you use the search function and necro old threads to show your support, people tell you not to necro old threads.

Last edited:

oZode

Jun 7, 2013
On the subject of gas giants, what if there is a cloud layer you can walk on?

The gas giant worlds could easily be basically more alien Aether-type biomes with giant floating jelly fish things (evolved ghasts for creativity's sake) instead of whales and clouds dominating with no islands of rock, or very few such islands.

Without a spacesuit you'd rapidly lose health on contact, not simply suffocate. The high gravity of a couple of the gas giants may also demand some new astronaut's hardware to jump and fight the pressure.

Resources I can't think of beyond what is already suggested.

Here's some atmosphere art of a gas giants to see what I mean:

03-jupiters-red-spot.jpg

As for how to vary the gas giants, here's what I thought of hazard wise;

Jupiter- constant lightning storm, more fall damage.

Saturn- Like Jupiter, but less gravity but some new hostile mob makes things more dangerous, like a flying shark.

Uranus- lightning storms do not happen as a constant unlike in Saturn or Jupiter, but instead come periodically. However, Uranus has methane clouds that either explode or get set on fire when sruck by lightning. Gravity same as earth

Neptune- by far the hardest, as it has rain of deadly crystal that rips through your health. Fun! (I suggest making shelter) gravity is slightly lower than earth's

Cloud generation patterns and objects of interest varying from gas giant to gas giant may also prove useful.

Different cloud block types would also make for higher amounts of variation.

Mob wise I decided not to think much about it since honestly I was hoping for more alien mob designs. So far the most alien mob is the slime stuff on Mars. But that's a wholly different topic.

I imagine that like with the moon and mars there would be dungeons- but the dungeon layout may be quite different due to the cloud-based nature of the gas giants. Like floating temples or something.

Things can get even harsher interstellar wise (there are known exoplanets that rain liquid metal for instance), but I believe if anything interstellar is done chances are it will be done in the form of a mystcraft-like world randomizer.

Last edited:

MoltonMontro

Nov 4, 2013
And blue bells cant exist on the moon... And there are no aliens, just trying to think of some things to give it more spice. Venus is a pretty flat desolate place, about 70% flat volcanic planes. would be a pretty dull world without something extra.

Firstly I did say in my original post that the moons would be a better option than the gas giants. From a realistic point of view, I agree that a real "landing" would be impossible The description I gave is very specific that this would be a landing into a liquid with under"water" dungeons and content.

If we judged all the planets on what is feasible for a landing you can discount almost every planet and large body in the solar system due to temperature, travel time, atmospheric factors, gravitational forces, atmospheric pressure etc etc etc. This isnt a simulator, otherwise there would be no cheese on the moon and there would be no aliens to name a few minor changes that would need to be made. It would also be insanely dull...

From a GAME point of view, if the Gas giants are going to be put into the game, the suggestions I have made are the best way I can think of making it challenging and enjoyable while sticking with a theme for the planet.

A wood being alien is it just being very different and unknown to our planet. To lifeforms that may or may not live on other planets we are aliens if we go to their planet/home. Also, this IS Minecraft after all. Some aspects of the mod are already unrealistic, get over realism 100%.

Zachecho

Dec 2, 2013
OH MY GOD this is amazing suggestions i really am looking forward to this specially the mars rover and the planets

Zachecho

Dec 2, 2013
On the subject of gas giants, what if there is a cloud layer you can walk on?

The gas giant worlds could easily be basically more alien Aether-type biomes with giant floating jelly fish things (evolved ghasts for creativity's sake) instead of whales and clouds dominating with no islands of rock, or very few such islands.

Without a spacesuit you'd rapidly lose health on contact, not simply suffocate. The high gravity of a couple of the gas giants may also demand some new astronaut's hardware to jump and fight the pressure.

Resources I can't think of beyond what is already suggested.

Here's some atmosphere art of a gas giants to see what I mean:

03-jupiters-red-spot.jpg

As for how to vary the gas giants, here's what I thought of hazard wise;

Jupiter- constant lightning storm, more fall damage.

Saturn- Like Jupiter, but less gravity but some new hostile mob makes things more dangerous, like a flying shark.

Uranus- lightning storms do not happen as a constant unlike in Saturn or Jupiter, but instead come periodically. However, Uranus has methane clouds that either explode or get set on fire when sruck by lightning. Gravity same as earth

Neptune- by far the hardest, as it has rain of deadly crystal that rips through your health. Fun! (I suggest making shelter) gravity is slightly lower than earth's

Cloud generation patterns and objects of interest varying from gas giant to gas giant may also prove useful.

Different cloud block types would also make for higher amounts of variation.

Mob wise I decided not to think much about it since honestly I was hoping for more alien mob designs. So far the most alien mob is the slime stuff on Mars. But that's a wholly different topic.

I imagine that like with the moon and mars there would be dungeons- but the dungeon layout may be quite different due to the cloud-based nature of the gas giants. Like floating temples or something.

Things can get even harsher interstellar wise (there are known exoplanets that rain liquid metal for instance), but I believe if anything interstellar is done chances are it will be done in the form of a mystcraft-like world randomizer.
hope this could be implimeted

Thecheesaman

Sep 17, 2013
for the asteroid belt there should be some form of anti grav sled which would be usable in helping construction of space stations, which should also be buildable above all planets, and maybe some moons.