Votes: 8 66.7%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I already knew most of this.

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters

TheirOwn

Apr 3, 2013
A Beginners Guide to Galacticraft (Part 1)
Galacticraft is a mod that allows you and your friends to travel throughout the stars. This mod adds a ton of new items, such as a spaceship and a buggy. If I forget something or just do not state it, please correct me.

Warning!
I found that it was hard to begin the mod with little to no outside information helping me along, so I made this. Almost everything I posted here I found out for myself, therefore some information may be inaccurate, if so please feel free to correct me. Also, I will not post crafting recipes or materials required. I hope you guys find it useful!

Table of Contents
  • Energy
  • Oxygen Collecting
  • Rocket Crafting
  • Fuel That Rocket!
  • General Tips Before Launch
Energy
Like real life, most machines in this mod require energy. The energy in this pack is set up in units as watts and kilowatts. There are 1000 watts in one kilowatt. Different machines require a different minimum amount of power before they can run properly. The machines won't work until the meet this requirement, however these requirements can be met with a smaller amount of power over a longer amount of time. The list of the items that require energy are here listed along with their minimum energy requirement.
  • Electric Furnace-10 kw
  • Oxygen Compressor-6 kw
  • Oxygen Collector-4 kw
  • Oxygen Distributor- 6kw
  • Battery Box-no minimum
  • Fuel Loader-6 kw
  • Refinery-12 kw
Despite the amount of machines that will require and use up your energy, the only machine that can generate the energy is the coal generator.

The coal generator runs on both charcoal and coal. It contains only one slot where the coal will go, and will not generate energy until connected to another machine that requires energy. The power a piece of coal will generate roughly 1.5 kilowatts of power after an initial warmup. This warmup cost one coal and will not generate any power during this time. The generator has a maximum efficiency of 10 kw. However, coal entered in after 8.5 kw will still continue to generate energy for their 1.5 kw of power. The energy after 10 kilowatts of power is merely not listed.

To connect two machines together, first locate the side that the wire connects to. For electricity, the most common side is the side that has the black square. However, the oxygen machines currently do not accept electricity from this port, and they must be connected on the side that has the blue square. The wire used is called copper wire and is able to visually connect to the machines when positioned correctly.

Copper wires, just like in real life, do have a sort of friction on electricity, called resistance. Meaning after using a certain amount of wires, a certain amount of electricity will be lost. So keep in mind that if you want to connect an electric furnace, which has a minimum of 10 kw to run, to a coal generator, which runs at a max of 10 kw, you should probably keep them close. Still the resistance is so small that most other machines will run perfectly fine farther away, but just remember that you are losing energy when you do this.

Now for the battery box. It has the ability to store energy. This makes it really useful since the coal generator, once connected to a machine, will start pumping out energy nonstop until it runs out of coal, regardless of whether that energy is getting used. However, when examined in its GUI, it says nothing about kilowatts or watts. It says something about Mega Joules. For all you people that do not know what a joule is, let alone a mega joule, it is a measurement of energy over time. basically, the battery box is telling us how long it will take it to output an amount of energy. Now I could try to calculate how many kilowatts that is, but I don't know what amount of time to do the calculation with, so... Let's just assume that the battery box outputs at least as much energy as the generator when it is fully running.

Batteries are pretty useful too, but only deal out a fraction of the amount of energy that the battery box can. To see how powerful one battery is, basically one battery can produce a little more than one use out of the refinery and pull 15 items out of a electric furnace.

Oxygen Collecting
Now to go to the moon, you will have to gather up a supply oxygen for you to breathe. The machines used are easily guessed if you could see them, but unless you are in creative or have another mod, then you can't so the machines you will need are
  • Oxygen Collector
  • Oxygen Compressor
  • Oxygen Tank
These machines are pretty easy to use. First, place your oxygen collector. As long as you are on the Overworld (I don't know if it will function in the end or in the nether, but it does work underwater!) , it will immediately gather oxygen around itself. next up hook up a batbox or a coal generator to it. To do that, you simply have to find the blue square (not the black one this time) and put the copper wire there to attach the wire to the collector. Then on the black square, attach it to an oxygen compressor. This time however, use oxygen pipes instead of the copper wires. And attach these wires to the same black box side on the compressor. The compressor also needs to be powered, so just connect that to your generator, and viola! Your compressor/collector combo is working! Just kidding, the last step is merely to put any oxygen tank into the lower slot on the compressor. This was probably the easiest step.

Rocket Crafting
To begin your spaceship construction, you need to first create a rocket crafting table. This table requires a 3x3x2(3 wide, 3 long, 2 high) area to be placed. After placing it, you can right click any part of the table to begin your rocket crafting.

This rocket will require a lot pieces. Luckily the GUI screen for the rocket table is relatively self-explanatory. You will need:
  • 1 nose cone
  • 8 heavy-duty platings
  • 4 rocket fins
  • 1 rocket engine
Now that's pretty expensive, so you will probably save the crafting of its materials as one of the last things you will do on the Overworld. Once you have every piece in its correct position (as marked by the icons on the GUI screen), a spaceship will appear in the yellow-lined box in the lower right side. this is a standard spaceship. If you want to add storage space to your rocket, place a chest in the marked spot on the upper right.

Now let's say you had this all perfectly planned out. You have this amazing backdrop put behind your ship and everything. Only one problem. Your spaceship is facing the wrong way. To fix this, jump in your rocket by right clicking on it. then hold either 'a' or 'd' depending on whether you want your spaceship turning left or right. Notice that 'w' and 's' do not do anything, it is simply because you are still stuck to the ground.

Now that you are in position, you can press spacebar to fly away! If.... you have fuel that is.

Fuel Your Rocket!
To begin to fuel your rocket to the stars, you must first acquire some oil. Supposedly found underground around level 30, oil is crucial to your spacial endeavor.

To obtain oil, you need a portable oil extractor and an empty liquid canister. Just right click the oil and 5 oil shall be added to your total. You can have maximum of 20 oil source blocks contained in one canister. Only 20 will be needed to fuel your rocket for a round trip to a planet and back.

Before you can use this oil properly though, you must refine it into fuel. Just stick the oil canister on the left input slot on the refinery machine (which must be powered). This process will take a bit and then it will finish.

Now you got your fuel canister! You got enough fuel to begin your galactic conquest! To load this fuel, you will need a fuel loader. Once you set up your rocket launch pad (3x3 area made out of launch pads) and have placed your rocket of choice on top, you can place your fuel loader next to the pad. Make sure your fuel loader is facing the pad using a wrench. After powering it and placing the canister in there, the loader will begin the process of loading the fuel. To check that the fuel is properly loaded. Right click on your rocket ship then press 'f.' This will open up the spaceship's GUI. The box in the middle upper section will tell you how much fuel the rocket has. Once it hits 100% you are good to go!

General Tips Before Launch
  • Every machine (except for the spaceship unfortunately) can be rotated using the wrench.~ClayCarmine1205
  • When using your fuel extractor, hold the right click button and drag across all source blocks within range, you should be able to grab them all.
  • For whatever reason, you cannot grab a source block when you are holding shift and standing above it.
  • When placing your rocket crafting table, it requires a 3x3 area. However, after it is placed, you can place blocks around the base.
  • The antenna on top of the space ship is not really part of the collision model. Therefore, you can place blocks through it.
  • Do not use a bucket on oil! It just wastes both!
  • If you are in creative, you can use the pick block button on a launch pad to get the whole item. However, it is called 'unnamed.'

TheirOwn

Apr 3, 2013
Oh great... I had most of the rest of this done... but then it said it won't let me save because it is over ten thousand characters...

Nov 3, 2013
Nice Guide, really helped me a lot.

Quick question, though, whenever i try to pick up a piece of machinery (with any tool including wrench) it will not let me... am i being a complete idiot and missing something simple, or is there a special tool?

TheirOwn

Apr 3, 2013
Nice Guide, really helped me a lot.

Quick question, though, whenever i try to pick up a piece of machinery (with any tool including wrench) it will not let me... am i being a complete idiot and missing something simple, or is there a special tool?
To be honest, I have not played this mod in quite some time. But when you say pick up, do you mean that you are trying to break it and recollect the block? Because that is possible with any pickaxe (might be outdated on that note but probably not), otherwise I fear that this might be a technical issue which I cannot help with. Best I can offer is to restart your minecraft and see if that helps anything.

If you mean you are trying to rotate a block, like I said in the guide, right clicking with the wrench should do it. Sorry I cannot help you more than that.

Side note: Man this was a long time ago. Glad people still use it :)

Nov 3, 2013
A
To be honest, I have not played this mod in quite some time. But when you say pick up, do you mean that you are trying to break it and recollect the block? Because that is possible with any pickaxe (might be outdated on that note but probably not), otherwise I fear that this might be a technical issue which I cannot help with. Best I can offer is to restart your minecraft and see if that helps anything.

If you mean you are trying to rotate a block, like I said in the guide, right clicking with the wrench should do it. Sorry I cannot help you more than that.

Side note: Man this was a long time ago. Glad people still use it :)

Man i am an idiot... a few things
1. when it comes to "complex" mods like this, ill scour the internet for any piece of data, and i enjoy reading all the tutorials.
2. im an idiot... my left mouse key was stuck and for whatever reason it would not let me swing my pick... restarted mc, fixed it right up.
3. i am sorry if anyone wasted 15 seconds of their lives to read that comment, sadly i cannot pay you back that time, for i may need that 15 seconds one day.
4. thank you for replying so fast xD

IsoMS

Jul 26, 2013
*Canadaaaa
"Make a thread for beginners so they dont have to throw their questions in apart threads, seems legit to me"