Unable to build in Asteriod Dimension

Ninja8370

Oct 6, 2014
I flew to the asteriod dimension and found that I was unable to build anything. I could destroy blocks, but as soon as I placed a different one, they would refill. I'm in creative mode on this world. Is there a way to either build and just leave without a rocket ship?

Hanakocz

Dec 14, 2013
Yes, asteroid dimension is kinda "laggy" when you get into it. You know, all that generating of the map....but in asteroids, it is somehow bigger issue

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
@Ninja8370 two questions that could help find the cause of this:

1) please give me a modlist of which other mods you have installed (including InventoryTweaks) - if there's many, then maybe post up a startup log or an old crash report somewhere, that should list them

2) if you still have your log from the time when you went to the Asteroids, please can you show me the log lines around that time. I am specially interested in this message: "WARNING Can't keep up, did system time change or is server overloaded?". If you see that please show me all the log from around that time.

I assume you're playing SSP?

Hanakocz

Dec 14, 2013
Just created new game, went tp to asteroids....there is no access to break/build blocks in that time, also you "land" without module, only person. After relog, it shows you back up in "air" and you land with module.... after that is all ok....and also the second landing is okay. However I did not tested to change the place and land on some other place (where new chunks will need to generate)

Log below, it was too long

Attachments

• log.txt
    18.1 KB · Views: 4

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
In your log this is the problem:
[B#439] [08:23:12] [Server thread/WARN]: Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? Running 8646ms behind, skipping 172 tick(s)

What happens is due to extreme lag - that's 8.6 seconds of lag there - the client is literally "skipping" or ignoring some of the information which it has been sent by the server. So the client misses the important information that the player is supposed to be inside a lander.
  • The server thinks the player is inside a lander (so the player cannot break blocks).
  • The client thinks the player is not inside a lander (so the player looks like he is outside, trying to break blocks).

(When you are playing SSP, "server" means the internal Minecraft server and "client" means the game you see on the screen.)

The lag is a known issue but I do not know the cause of the lag, we are still trying to figure it out. It could be caused by another mod. It could be just connected with lighting and rendering the asteroids on the client.

It is not a world generation issue, the issue happens also when the world is already generated. (And we have some smart code I made which actually generates the world at the destination while the rocket is doing its pre-launch countdown.)

Hanakocz

Dec 14, 2013
Huh, okay one question -
How you can pregenerate the destination in launching time, when you choose destination after you get to the orbit?
And - for me , this problem was always on first visit of asteroid dimension, I think that not after...

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Easy. If you are using a rocket, the game looks at the tier of the rocket and pre-generates as appropriate. (Actually it pre-generates 2 destinations and it does some of the work while the rocket is in flight, so that it spreads the load across more than 40 seconds of time on the server.)

If you are visiting the asteroid dimension using the /dimensiontp command there is no pre-generation of course, because there is no rocket and no launch countdown.

You can tell it's working because the client doesn't stop with a brown screen for 15 seconds saying "Generating Terrain".