Using other mod dimentions as planets

TamsynnImogen

Mar 27, 2015
Hiya just a quick idea but i think it would be pretty cool if we could use dimensions from different mods as new planets/moons for example twilight forest. obviously some dimensions wouldn't be suitable due to being set underground but im sure there would be plenty that would be cool with this

pra

Mar 7, 2015
Overworld
Hmmm, I think it might actually be relatively easy to implement, with something like a MineTweaker for Galacticraft. You could have a config file where you define solar systems and link them with existing dimension IDs. The only problem I see is the celestial body icons, I think you could only pick those included in the mod.

Maybe I'll actually do it, shouldn't be too hard... But meh, again I'm trying to do too many things at once, nothing good can come out of that...

Reactions: TamsynnImogen

TamsynnImogen

Mar 27, 2015
that would be pretty cool unless you could also select celestial bodies from a resource pack as well. I was thinking something similar but i guess the whole galaxy map might be hard due to getting the orbits the right distance/size, configuring a rocket to be able to go there. possibly be a better idea to have a 'blank' solar system which allows you to add the planets though as to not mess with other mods too much
maybe a minetweaker like line like:
add.planet(planet_name,dimension_ID,planet_order,orbit_size,rocket_tier,!gravity_strength,!temperature,!oxygen_present); ('!' indicates optional fields)

pra

Mar 7, 2015
Overworld
Adding a solar system shouldn't be more difficult than adding planets. The relevant parameters are the X and Y coordinates on the space map and a name. Also, you wouldn't be able to set any of your optional parameters. Well, you could set them, but they wouldn't have any effect, since a non-GC-mod wouldn't extend WorldProviderSpace. There is no such thing as "planet_order", either, only the distance from the sun.

Dunno about resource packs. I'm not sure how they work, but I suspect that could actually work.

TamsynnImogen

Mar 27, 2015
fair enough wasnt sure how gc shows the planets in there lists and wasnt sure about the optional bits but added incase it was

pra

Mar 7, 2015
Overworld
Okay, just tested it, you can launch from the twilight forest just fine. Let's see what I manage to make...

pra

Mar 7, 2015
Overworld
Meh. And I almost got it to work, too.

In the end, GC relies very much on the fact that it has total control over the dimensions which are associated with a celestial body, there are several places where it keeps the dimension IDs, and it does a lot of checks to verify that the ID is really, really not from another mod. For this to work, the feature would indeed need to be added at least in the API. So, this remains a suggestion.

But, at least I managed to get custom solar systems to work. It reads a json file and creates stuff in the celestial map. Maybe that could be useful for something on it's own. If someone wants the code, just say so, and I will put it on Github. Otherwise I'll be too lazy.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
It's unlikely that we will add this to Galacticraft any time soon.

Several reasons:
  • The game already provides ways to reach the Nether and the End, with specific requirements - i.e. you must have Obsidian to reach the Nether, you must have around 10 ender pearls and the location of a Stronghold to reach the End.
  • It would be a lot of work, and I'm sure you guys would prefer that work to go into new planets and other space features.
  • You can't take a rocket to the Nether because it has a bedrock ceiling at y=128. Unless players are using exploits, it's impossible to get from above the bedrock ceiling into the inside of the Nether.
  • A rocket to the End would need to land on the island. That's achievable but still quite challenging, as the island is a random size.
  • In Celestial Catalog terms it's not obvious where these dimensions should be located - they are not planets or moons.
  • I don't really like the concept - the Nether and the End are "imaginary" dimensions, they can also be thought of as a hell world and a dream world, inside the player's imagination (maybe inspired by fear of all the scary mobs in Minecraft) - they are not real physical dimensions. I think rockets are best kept for real physical dimensions.

TamsynnImogen

Mar 27, 2015
well thats why the suggestion was for other mods such as the twilight forest as an example going to the nether or the end wasnt even mentioned

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
All the same comments apply to Twilight Forest, the Tropics, etc etc.

Those other mods already provide ways to reach their dimensions.

pra

Mar 7, 2015
Overworld
Well, what if I just call this feature "Allow mod authors to add celestial bodies as an alternative way to reach their dimension"? Some function which would allow you to bind a celestial body to a dimensionID which has been registered already by other code.

Riroo

Feb 7, 2016
i'm not sure this is useful because they are well... other dimension which you need a portal to get to..... soooooo yeah unless to make a wormhole thingy then theres no way to even get to the places, unless your crazy enough to shoot a rocket through a portal. Also you would need to integrate many dimension which you would need mod owners perms and blah blah blah, so good luck if you do the coding and paperwork maybe but, yeah. Good Luck!

Such Dream Killer Much Well

pra

Mar 7, 2015
Overworld
No, I mean, if you are a mod developer and want to add Galacticraft support in the way of a new celestial body as an alternative way to get to your dimension, it should be possible to do so

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
Those other mods already provide ways to reach their dimensions.
Respect is gold. I agree we should honor other developers' design decisions, but what if one decides to add Galacticraft compatibility? They know better than us when space travel would fit or not in their own worlds.

As to the Nether and the End, I totally agree.

Last edited:

pra

Mar 7, 2015
Overworld
Well, there was never talk about using rockets to go to the end or the nether, I think. Okay, let's try this: as a server operator and/or adventure world creator I want to be able to create custom dimensions with Mystcraft/RFTools and then use these to build a custom solar system for my players.

dimion123

Dec 14, 2015
I am all for pra's suggestion. I would squeal with joy if I could reach, e.g., Erebus on a rocket and not with the help of a portal. Imagine the possibilities.

The Enderborn

Sep 9, 2013
I second this. Imagine traveling to other worlds (some mods have dimensions that'd be suitable as planets) with a special rocket.