Using Planet blocks as resources

David Aronson

Jul 26, 2013
I know this might annoy some people, but I think it would be nice to add some research-based aspects to GC.

For example, maybe more freedom in changing chemicals?
- Mars has a lot of CO2. Why not split it in half and have Oxygen?

Also data-collecting for planets
- An advanced map you can use to pin-point a landing location, so you don't have to worry about walking to it if you launch from a different area.
- Collecting information on blocks and perhaps dissecting the chemical properties. Mars Rock has a variety of elements in it: Iron and Oxygen to list a few. Why not have to where you can use a machine to get all those elements? Using rocks to get oxygen has been a method for terraforming

Also Bio-Enhancements to players
- Aside from Terraforming, People have discussed the idea of enhancing humans for different planets. Why not add some of that to GC? For instance add in Nano-Bots that protect you from Heat or make Oxygen for you automatically without needing a spacesuit. You can make a charging chamber, similar to the Cryo-Chamber, where you rest to recharge your Nano-bots. You can even add in combat upgrades. I'm just scratching the surface of possibilities. Moved: https://forum.micdoodle8.com/index.php?threads/bioforming-robotics.6519/

On a different note, why not allow MineChem oxygen to count as a form of GC Oxygen? It could allow for multiple ways of getting oxygen, aside from Tree's and Water. And maybe make some Space Blocks dissemble using the Chemical Machines?

Also, more sources of fuel wouldn't be bad. Mars is known for having Hydrogen, which along with carbon can serve as a fuel(I read this in The Martian, good book). The Moon has some Helium 3, which can be easier to get than Oil-Fuel, but requires more to fill a rocket.

Perhaps add in geothermal energy to Mars?

I think it would make GC more interesting and innovative if you could use Planets for different resources. That's why we actually consider Space Travel in irl

Any other ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:

pra

Mar 7, 2015
Overworld
Energy-wise, electrolyzing CO2 for oxygen would be more expensive than electrolyzing water, I think, and GC's water elecrolyzer is extremely inefficient and doesn't even come close to provide enough oxygen to breathe, so...

You can generate fuel from the martian atmosphere, though. Electrolyze water, then pump hydrogen and atmospheric CO2 into a methane synthesizer.

And yes, there could be some sort of a rock grinder, where you can stuff stacks of moon/mars rocks, which then would extract small amounts of He-3 and iron, respectively.

Geothermal energy on Mars? Isn't Mars pretty much geologically dead?