vanilla asteroids...

vokin

Feb 10, 2015
just wondering if anyone has any tips or anything for playing the asteroids without any other mods? i do have buildcraft, but i'd rather not use it (if it would even help much)

not sure if maybe i'm doing something wrong, but getting between them is a complete pain. yes, i have a grapple, but i can completely see how a jetpack or whatever would be great. even the wiki says "...if the player can't fly..." as if that should be expected? also, the wiki seems to indicate that you should be able to grapple between asteroids, using the little 1 block ones to help, but i can barely see those unless they are close to a bigger one. i'm using optifine but i do have my brightness all the way up. im spending TONS of time building bridges and towers 1 block at a time.

anyway, i've been in the asteroids for probably 3 hours (at least), full vanilla. only seem to be able to get power from coal (no solar), have explored at least 8-10 asteroids (with sensor goggles) and found one that has silicon and one that had iron and one hollow one. all the rest were empty. none of the special ore found.

any thoughts would be great to hear!

Reactions: Vigilantecow

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
hi @vokin, this kind of feedback is valuable

I am looking at lightening the texture of the Asteroid rock, which I agree is so dark that it is hard to see the 1x1x1 asteroids.

We do plan to add a jetpack or similar in a future version, but that won't be seen for minimum 1-2 months yet. I am also looking at whether Asteroids should have zero gravity (like space stations) in which case you could head in any direction and then use the Grapple when you want to stop.

For now you can use traditional Minecraft-style rock bridges and nerdpoles to move around safely, I agree that that can very quickly become boring though and it's not really what Galacticraft is about.

Please bear with us while we improve this.

vokin

Feb 10, 2015
Thanks for the quick response. I'm totally fine to put up with it while you guys keep developing, I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't doing something wrong.

I'm not sure if the screens on the asteroids wiki page are from the current version, but on my screen they are MUCH MUCH less visible than in those screenshots.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
I don't know when you started playing this map, if it was before November 2014 then it's possible a change we made to asteroid lighting around that time is affecting you. If you create a new world and go to the Asteroids, does it still look dark?

vokin

Feb 10, 2015
I can test that out. The world was definitely made before then (though I updated the mods pretty recently, I'm on 3.0.8.257 right now). I think the world was made with 3.0.6.232, if that tells you anything.

While I have your attention, is there something I'm not realizing as far as power on asteroids without using another mod? I would love to set up some teleporters (finally found titanium!), but running things off coal seems silly and solar definitely isn't working at all, they just point down at the "ground".

vokin

Feb 10, 2015
So I just did a fresh world and teleported myself to the asteroids. It's still very dark, don't see much difference in the lighting at all. However, there are way, way, way more of the 1x1 asteroids. Definitely see how they would make it super easy to move around. As it is right now, I'm having to build bridges where I'm often using at least two full stacks of Asteroid Rock, if not more, to move from one asteroid to the next.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
I'll look at the solar power. This type of feedback is very helpful, you may think that these are obvious points but we spend 99% of our time coding, not actually playing the game, so we are sometimes not aware of the issues affecting playability. Also I think a lot of our GC3 players just go to the Asteroids in creative mode and look around, not so many people have played through the whole mod in Survival mode from the beginning and reached the Asteroids.

We are looking at additional rewards for reaching the Asteroids, I mean cool stuff that you can build or make, so that it was worth all the effort of getting there. (I don't mean Achievements, we do not have a GC Achievements system although there is the SpaceRace instead.) The large quantities of minable resources, if you can find them, is certainly a part of that. Titanium armor is intended to be a nice reward (but its value depends on what other mods you have installed). Coming soon now - next 1-2 weeks I hope - will be a very cool new vehicle / entity in the Asteroids which I hope people will like a lot.

It's obviously important that you should be able to mine in the Asteroids and get the riches, so I want to fix anything which makes that no fun.

SirKillz

Apr 20, 2013
hi @vokin, this kind of feedback is valuable

I am looking at lightening the texture of the Asteroid rock, which I agree is so dark that it is hard to see the 1x1x1 asteroids.

We do plan to add a jetpack or similar in a future version, but that won't be seen for minimum 1-2 months yet. I am also looking at whether Asteroids should have zero gravity (like space stations) in which case you could head in any direction and then use the Grapple when you want to stop.

For now you can use traditional Minecraft-style rock bridges and nerdpoles to move around safely, I agree that that can very quickly become boring though and it's not really what Galacticraft is about.

Please bear with us while we improve this.
Not to sound rude, as I really do appreciate your work, but the whole zero gravity thing on space stations seems very very irritating to me. I understand why it was added and the way it works is fairly realistic, however it's just so annoying to me. I feel that there should be some machine that adds a way to switch the gravity to a percentage you want, or perhaps change a config option. Or to make it maybe even more simple maybe a type of armor you need to wear to allow you to walk and jump normally, because lets face it, we need an astronaut suit. I feel on the space station hey, all's good, I don't need to make a space station if I don't have to., but this mod is based on progression, and that's why I love it! You need to go to the moon, then Mars, then Asteroids, then X... If the gravity of the Asteroid belt was changed, I feel like the entire dimension would be the biggest turn off for me. If it was something that was needed to progress then hey, whatever I don't have to go there. But for me to need to spend X amount of time there dealing with not "hard" , but just terribly annoying conditions I feel that's just not right. Now I know this is just an opinion and others may feel, hey this 0 gravity it needed, I'm simply stating my opinion, as I strongly would dislike a full 0 gravity dimension that I would not a have a choice to go to if I wanted to progress.
Thanks,
-Nick

Nic

Mar 10, 2015
I'll look at the solar power. This type of feedback is very helpful, you may think that these are obvious points but we spend 99% of our time coding, not actually playing the game, so we are sometimes not aware of the issues affecting playability. Also I think a lot of our GC3 players just go to the Asteroids in creative mode and look around, not so many people have played through the whole mod in Survival mode from the beginning and reached the Asteroids.

We are looking at additional rewards for reaching the Asteroids, I mean cool stuff that you can build or make, so that it was worth all the effort of getting there. (I don't mean Achievements, we do not have a GC Achievements system although there is the SpaceRace instead.) The large quantities of minable resources, if you can find them, is certainly a part of that. Titanium armor is intended to be a nice reward (but its value depends on what other mods you have installed). Coming soon now - next 1-2 weeks I hope - will be a very cool new vehicle / entity in the Asteroids which I hope people will like a lot.

It's obviously important that you should be able to mine in the Asteroids and get the riches, so I want to fix anything which makes that no fun.

OOOH! A new vehicle for the Asteroids??? That would be amazing! My son and I actually played through the whole game on Survival (Well, we played through, established a moon base, but then had to recreate the server so I allowed us to creative in the stuff we had before the server restart, and we survivalled all the way to the asteroids.) and we really loved the experience. But when we got to the asteroids it was a bit of a let down. My son is only about... Well he turns 9 day after tomorrow, so his patience is a lot lower than mine, but I always push him to not use creative. Anyway, we have the modular powersuits mod for now, but I would love to go back to something closer to vanilla (We finally got buildcraft going because man it took us probably about 40 hours to mine all the stuff for the first set of rockets to the moon, I would have hated to mine all the stuff for the tier 2 and tier 3 rockets).

I really love this mod by the way, I normally am not a huge fan of Minecraft, but my son is obsessed with this game, and this mod really gave me something to sink my teeth into so we could play together. We got it up and running in January, and we've probably gotten to spend a few hundred hours together in the evenings working on getting to various places. So thanks again man! You are awesome! My son and I can't wait until we can go deeper into the solar system, he is super excited about checking out Pluto (I know, really far off lol) and I really want to see your take on some of the gas giant moons like Europa and Titan.

Anyway, I just wanted to hop in and say thanks and I'm really stoked about a new vehicle being added! Have a wonderful day!