Vertical Thrusters

dj3520

Aug 14, 2014
gcf.dj3520.net
I actually first thought this what the spin thrusters would be. It would be a way to artificially create fake gravity through centrifugal force, existing more as you'd increase speed and further yourself from the center.
Unfortunately I believe this would be a huge challenge to add.

JakXLT

May 16, 2014
I actually first thought this what the spin thrusters would be. It would be a way to artificially create fake gravity through centrifugal force, existing more as you'd increase speed and further yourself from the center.
Unfortunately I believe this would be a huge challenge to add.

I wasn't thinking about gravity when I suggested this, I just want to look up when I'm walking in my space station and see the overworld above me moving across the sky.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Fake gravity is kind of already added - if you make a large spinning station, and you make a large room near the rim you should experience something (not if the room is sealed, and not if you are already on the outer wall).

The problem with it is, whichever orientation the space station is spinning in, the fake gravity should be outwards if it's to be realistic. As I've posted in other forum posts recently, outwards gravity will be very unpleasant / hard to play for players, because the blocks must still be in their normal orientation. So the player will be pressed to the "walls" of the space station. We can turn the player around so he can stand upright on the walls (similar to what Star Mine does) but then all the regular blocks in the base will be on their sides. We don't think players will be too happy to have furnaces + other machines, bookshelves, enchantment tables, water tanks, crops etc all on their sides, it will just look "wrong". In testing we have also tried turning the blocks all around - so rotating the whole chunk - but then you get problems with connections (for example, wires and pipes and flowing water) at the chunk edges. There is no way to do this correctly in Minecraft due to the way chunks are. At least, the only way it could be done would be to have something like bedrock at some of the chunk boundaries, so that all wires and cables and redstone circuits etc, anything connecting block to block, would have to stay inside 1 chunk, and we don't think people will like that.

So instead we are currently looking at the possibility of having fake gravity whose strength depends on the spinning speed of the space station and the radius (how far out from the centre you are) but whose direction is still in the regular gravity down direction. That will mean all the vanilla Minecraft and modded blocks can still be built in a space station and will work normally.

This is, basically, why the space stations only spin horizontally. It will make no sense for the spin to be vertical if the gravity direction will be downwards.

dj3520

Aug 14, 2014
gcf.dj3520.net
It will make no sense for the spin to be vertical if the gravity direction will be downwards.
This idea was actually presented to me that in the future a space station shaped like a wheel would spin to create downwards gravity. By creating a circle and walking inside it, gravity changes by how far outwards you are from the center. A journey to the center would result in weightlessness.

Like stated above, converting this idea into a Minecraft reality isn't the most possible thing to do. Quite an awesome and accurate idea, but due to complexity, it's unlikely...unless there's a lot of internal stuff changed. (Coremod anyone?)