Videos for Galacticraft Wiki: What do you think?

Should videos be captioned?

• With captions

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Spoken

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
I'm thinking of making some video tutorials about Galacticraft and some stuff I've figured out while using other mods along with, e.g. Mekanism, to be included in the wiki.

(BTW, our wiki pages are being revamped: http://wiki.micdoodle8.com/wiki/Moon_Turf)

I would pick a block, an item, a vehicle or a process (e.g. how to produce fuel) and then explain over.

My question is about the format: Should these videos be captioned (harder to produce but it's accessible for anyone who can read English), or should they be spoken over (easier to produce)?

Any ideas and feedback is appreciated.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Judging by other Minecraft videos I think the answer here must depend on a) your voice and b) the quality of your microphone. :)

Reactions: AcapitalA

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
Judging by other Minecraft videos I think the answer here must depend on a) your voice and b) the quality of your microphone. :)
I don't know, this may mean a no-no for now.

1st: my mic is not top-notch. 2nd: while I speak English, I'm not a native English speaker. I think I don't speak steady enough to keep people interested, and I'm not a good entertainer either. So I make videos like this:

On the other hand, I think captioned videos can be great:

Last edited:

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
while I speak English, I'm not a native English speaker.
Same can be said for PewDiePie and he seems to do fine. (Though I do suspect he may have a top notch microphone.)

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
PewDiePie originally had a Razer Carcharias gaming headset when he was recording his let's play videos. Of course, as he rose to fame he eventually got the money to invest in a studio microphone. Today he uses a headset mostly for separating game sound from recording while letting its featured microphone functions as backup device. Wearing a headset is also a signature thing of sorts.

On topic though, I think subtitled speech is the thing that has highest potential. Though caption alone is fine since the point is to give brief instructions on how some game feature works.

Vigilantecow

Oct 5, 2013
Some Place Cold
moonquest.com
I'm a bit torn between the two.
While subtitles can be informative and have more thought put into them, some people can learn and understand things better when they are walked through and explained by someone, almost like a conversation.
How about both?

S_Hacker

Jan 19, 2014
Antarctica
I suggest you use some text to speech program if your English is not very well.

You should also include captions as well, best of both worlds that way.

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
Whenever I hear someone mention "text-to-speech", I can't help stop thinking about Microsoft Sam. Ezer could go for that and then run around in a Master Chief skin. :p

Though personally I don't mind his some sort of Portuguese-sounding accent. The only drawback is the game audio tend to overwhelm his own voice. Post-recording and editing can be done in Audacity to make the best of voiced audio. The software's official wiki has some good recording tips, but more can be Googled after on the internet. It even includes tricks on how to physically enhance the recording device itself.

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
Whenever I hear someone mention "text-to-speech", I can't help stop thinking about Microsoft Sam. Ezer could go for that and then run around in a Master Chief skin. :p
How about no?

Post-recording and editing can be done in Audacity to make the best of voiced audio.
That is what I did in my latest, very-short video:

Still meh, I think all I need is practice and to get used to it.

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
How about no?

Fair enough. I wasn't expecting you to get famous and rack in those millions anyway.

That is what I did in my latest, very-short video:

*hardcore zombie on villager action over the dining table*

Still meh, I think all I need is practice and to get used to it.

So far so good. Assuming you are in favor of attracting more public interest, then that is essentially a great step in letting what is your very own personality represent your videos. I sure can't think of any youtubers that got famous for occasional lines of text or voice synthesis.

Furthermore, it also benefits whatever content that gets promoted. Everybody wins.

Reactions: Ezer'Arch