Want to translate GalactiCraft? Check this out!

Discussion in 'General' started by radfast, Jul 7, 2014.

1. radfast

radfast Administrator
    Staff Member

It will be really great if players are willing to help out by updating language files for GC3. You would need to do this:

1) Look in all four of the language folders for the different parts of GC3, which are Core, Moon, Mars and Asteroids.

2) You are looking to see if your language is there already - and if it is, you will want to look to see if somebody updated it already.

• The recently updated languages are:
    Chinese - zh_CN - thanks to sb023612, XZzh, Mrkwtkr and Joccob
    Chinese (traditional) - zh_TW - thanks to mymagadsl
    Croatian - hr_HR - thanks to CroComeT
    Czech - cs_CZ - thanks to hunator
    English - en_GB - I have that one covered
    French - fr_FR - thanks to Linyor and bart74 and Mazdallier
    German - de_DE - thanks to Vexatos with davidpox, Gebatzens and ErrorCraftLP
    Hungarian - hu_HU - thanks to CaptainTurbomuffin
    Japanese - jp_JP - thanks to Lapiman
    Netherlands - nl_NL - thanks to HellThunder
    Polish - pl_PL - thanks to MrNaxeros
    Portuguese - pt_BR and pt_PT - thanks to Ezer'Arch
    Russian - ru_RU - thanks to Adaptivity
    Spanish - es_ES - thanks to DavidSainz with Juput
    Swedish - sv_SW - thanks to Space Viking
    Thai - th_TH - thanks to SteveMCCommander
    Turkish - tr_TR - thanks to toltol

• If nobody updated it recently then it will definitely need updating, as plenty more of the Galacticraft text has now been made translatable. These languages need updates please:
    Finnish - fi_FI
    Welsh - cy_GB​

3) If your language does not exist already in Galacticraft, then check that it's one of the 62 languages which Minecraft recognises and look up the 'Locale Code' here: http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Language.
    I don't really see Latin or Quenya as top priorities - I'm really not sure that ancient Romans or Elves have a word for Space Rocket. Even if the planets are all named after Roman gods...

4) You need to end up with 4 lang files which are like the 4 en_US.lang files, but (obviously) with your language after the "=" on each line.
    • The text editor must save in UTF-8 encoding. nice explains from @Wulfyk and @tyrantelf on the old thread http://forum.micdoodle8.com/index.php?posts/5680/
    • The left side of the lines (before the "=") must be an exact match to the en_US language files.
    • Every line will need to be translated, otherwise players will be missing some translations in your language! But if you're not sure about something, it's probably OK to leave the English text for now, someone can fix it later. And you can skip the "#" comment lines.
    • Lines with a "$" are long lines which can be split across 2 lines when shown as tooltips in the game - you must not use a "$" for lines which do not have a "$" in the en_US - but if there is a "$" in the en_US, you can use as many "$" as you need in your language text, that can be none, or 2 or more
    • Lines with "%s" or "%d" are lines which in the game will have a name or number in place of the "%s" or the "%d" - if it's a name, probably it's a player's name, or maybe a team name or an item name.

5) We sometimes update the en_US language files. It's because new labels get added to the Galacticraft code or someone spotted an old thing which still needs translating.
    • When we change the en_US on Github, we will reference the translators named above by @name - that way if you are 'Watching' the Galacticraft Github using the setting "Be notified when @mentioned" then you will receive a Github notification automatically. We recommend translators use that Github setting instead of the larger "Be notified of all conversations" which will fill your inbox with messages.
    • I will also post here when significant updates to the en_US.lang files are made. Significant updates on July 25 and August 14, 2014.
    • To make things easier for our translators, whenever there are significant updates your language file will be automatically marked '##NEEDS TRANSLATE##' on any new lines which need translation. The US English text will be there as a placeholder meanwhile.

6) When you have lang files which are ready to go into Galacticraft:
    • If you know Github then push the changes to your own fork of Galacticraft then make a pull request.
    • If you don't know Github, just post the lang files online somewhere and give us a link to them and we can do the rest for you (create a new issue in Galacticraft's Github to give us the link) - please name them core, moon, mars and asteroids so we know which is which.

7) For .lang files already in Galacticraft, anyone can actually edit them online on Github, it's pretty easy to do. The steps:
    a. Go to any page of Galacticraft on Github (links earlier in this post).
    b. Make a "fork" in Github by pressing the fork button - this fork will be personal to you, so don't worry, you can't break anything by changing stuff in the fork.
    c. On the main page of the fork you made, look for 'src', then navigate into that and find the .lang files, they are in folder src/main/resources/assets/galacticraftcore/lang, or galacticraftmoon, galacticraftmars, galacticraftasteroids
    d. Click on the .lang file you want to edit
    e. Edit the .lang file online (the file on your screen should have an edit button like a pencil, the edit button becomes active if you are working in the Fork you made)
    f. When you're happy with your changes, "commit" the changes (scroll down the screen to see the 'Commit changes' button)
    g. When you're done with all the .lang files, go back to your fork main page, hit the Pull Request button, this will notify us your changes are ready to be included in Galacticraft.

Edit by @Ezer'Arch: Topic split from here for better reading.

#1 radfast, Jul 7, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  2. EnderSpace

EnderSpace Member

i think i will wait until it release , i already translate 60% from the files.
    but i think it better to wait , we dont know what the surprise that will come for us O.O

3. Ezer'Arch

Ezer'Arch Administrator
    Staff Member

4. radfast

radfast Administrator
    Staff Member

Thank you @Ezer'Arch. By around this weekend (11/12 July) we'll work through the existing .lang files, with a system to make it clearer to translators what is new and needs translating. I'll update with an example when that's done.

#4 radfast, Jul 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  5. radfast

radfast Administrator
    Staff Member

Hey guys. All the language files have been updated by the new automatic system which flags updated text which needs translation, so please take a look.

Updated text is flagged by '##NEEDS TRANSLATE##' so just search for '##'. It gives you the code key and the English right there in your language file, so all you have to do is change the English to the translation. This should make things a lot less work for our translators.

Example - this is the first lines of es_ES in galacticraftasteroids:
    Code:
    # Galacticraft Asteroids Language File = SPAIN SPANISH

item.itemTier3Rocket.t3Rocket.name=Tier 3 Rocket ##NEEDS TRANSLATE##
    tile.asteroidsBlock.asteroids1.name=Asteroid Rock ##NEEDS TRANSLATE##
    (For GalacticraftMars and GalacticraftAsteroids, for some languages it might be that everything needs translation because everything is new.)

6. radfast

radfast Administrator
    Staff Member

These languages are crying out for some attention (they need updates):
    • fi_FI (Finnish)
    • nl_NL (Dutch)
    and cy_GB (Welsh) if any of our Welsh-speaking players has the motivation.

#6 radfast, Jul 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  7. armdn

armdn Member

Adaptivity made mistakes in translation. I'm proposed improvements.

8. radfast

radfast Administrator
    Staff Member

@armdn that's great, I saw your pull requests, thank you for helping make Galacticraft perfect. But please do treat @Adaptivity well, he's a superstar and makes Russian translations for several mods, that's a lot of work. Same goes for all the other original translators - it takes many hours of work to do the first translation. They deserve respect.

Anyone else who is thinking of helping out with translation, now is a very good time ... we are going to be releasing the first beta release of GC3 for Minecraft 1.7.2 very soon, maybe even by tomorrow.

There is new text to translate in all the languages - even the ones recently updated.

9. JonMaker050

JonMaker050 Member

I want to help translate the mod to Spanish.

10. radfast

radfast Administrator
    Staff Member

Great. So follow the 4 links, find the Spanish language files (es_ES.lang), edit them, and give them back to us.
    All the new text which needs translation is marked like this ' ##NEEDS TRANSLATE##'

If you want to make Mexican (es_MX), Venezuelan (es_VE) or Uruguayan (es_UY) Spanish versions as well, please do, I'm sure it will make players happy.

But start with es_ES.lang first, because that is already there.

11. JonMaker050

JonMaker050 Member

es_ES.lang updated. Galacticraft Core.

12. radfast

radfast Administrator
    Staff Member

@JonMaker050 - please upload your files somewhere and give us links when you are ready. It is also possible to edit language files directly on the Github, see instruction (7) above.

As general pointers for all language translators (copied from https://github.com/micdoodle8/Galacticraft/pull/737):
    • We want spelling, including capital letters, and grammar to be correct as much as possible in Galacticraft, but some abbreviations and colloquialisms are also OK, for example, "If I press launch again, there's no going back" is somewhat colloquial.
    • The en_US and en_GB language files are spelled correctly, or if I notice they are not, I will fix them
    • Polite is good - micdoodle8 is from Canada and I am from England and we are both very polite :)
    • Keep it fun, and keep it short - we probably don't want superlong sentences, especially on the messages which the game gives to players all the time
    • Also think about how much space there is for the text in-game
    • Galacticraft has a style of suggesting what players might want to try, instead of telling them what they must do - for example, "I'll probably need a Frequency Module if I want to hear properly here"
    • Some jokes are OK, for example in en_GB, I changed "thermal boots" to "cosy socks", I don't think anybody noticed yet... :(
    • Keep it Minecraft-y, this is not Starmade, Space Engineers or Kerbal Space Program. For example, I think in the Celestial Selection screen, the home planet is the "Overworld", not "Earth" (unless Overworld is always translated into your language as Earth?)
    Please also note that I updated the en_US today to give the correct new names for sealable Fluid Pipes and sealable Kinesis Pipes from Buildcraft.

13. CaptainTurbomuffin

Working on the hungarian translate ;)

14. CaptainTurbomuffin

15. Space Viking

Space Viking Member

It's kind of a complicated matter since AFAIK the term "Overworld" isn't explicitly stated during regular gameplay in vanilla Minecraft, hence it hasn't been a common subject for translators to bother with.

I guess it's kind of a consequence when introducing a comprehensible list of various ingame dimensions. Some language may have various synonyms to describe it, but are context sensitive and not really a direct equivalent to what in English is referred to as an Overworld.

Unless invented (typically based on subjective interpretations) or literally translated (seemingly the case in German and Dutch), it might be "(main) world" or "map". Potentially tricky examples would be in French where it's known as the "La Surface", while Spanish might refer to the very former example, it is also seemingly referred to as "Corteza Terrestre" (Crust of Earth).

By the latter example the term "Overworld" lacks a clear definition of what it really is and a potential subject to be based on personal interpretations. One could arguably say the Overworld isn't directly referring to the celestial body that represents Earth in Minecraft, but actually its entire universe. Galacticraft would in that sense never be leaving the Overworld's dimension, but merely traveling to various celestial bodies that's still within its realm.

Though personally I don't have anything against calling the home planet Overworld and I do by all mean understand the concept behind being Minecraft-y. The only thing that slightly bothers me about it is when using it as a reoccurring variable in GUI designs, as it's a pretty long name in comparison to just simply calling it "World", "Earth", "Terra", "Tellus" etc.

radfast and MoltonMontro like this.
  16. radfast

radfast Administrator
    Staff Member

Thank you @Ezer'Arch, *** I did not know most of that - had no idea what in English is "the Overworld" has come out so differently in other languages. Could start a whole new subject, The philosophy of Minecraft ...

In vanilla Minecraft my sense of the different dimensions is that the Overworld is the real and material, and the Nether and the End are in the player's imagination. That concept is continued in other mods which add new imaginary dimensions, such as Twilight Forest and Mystcraft. It seems a bit like the different 'planes of existence' in old-skool Dungeons & Dragons http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plane_(Dungeons_&_Dragons) - and there was plenty of debate there about whether there is only one Prime Material plane or several.

In Galacticraft, it's clear micdoodle8 made design decisions, very early on, to preserve the idea that the Overworld is a flat world, and to implement other celestial bodies like the Moon, Mars and so on as new dimensions which are also flat - so we have added new material dimensions. This makes sense, given that the Overworld is flat, as off-world celestial bodies could not be reached from any place on a flat world.

[EDITED: *** I meant Space Viking of course. Sorry guys! :oops:

#16 radfast, Aug 3, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  17. Ezer'Arch

Ezer'Arch Administrator
    Staff Member

Hum? Wouldn't it be @Space Viking?

As to the origin of "Overworld" name, I suspect this has to do with how Super Mario Bros (SMB) influenced the game design in the earlier times. SMB featured an overworld map (link to video) in opposition to the underground maps. The Legend of Zelda also followed the trend (link to video). Then people tend to identify ground levels or start levels as overworld, and the underground levels as the underworld, the hell and so on. Minecraft was supposed to have a heavenly dimension called The Sky, but it was replaced with The End.

#17 Ezer'Arch, Aug 3, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
    MoltonMontro likes this.
  18. Space Viking

Space Viking Member

I don't know where the term "Overworld" exactly originated from, but it seems plausible it was coined by some official Nintendo in-house magazine. The Legend of Zelda was featured in a Nintendo Player's Guide where the game's main map was referred to as "Hyrule Overworld" (Hyrule = name of the realm/land). It would seem apparent the term was eventually adopted by people for a broader sense of usage, which would be in accordance to Ezer'Arch's reasoning.

In Minecraft the term is rarely used in official wordings with no public examples of it existing before the time the Nether was implemented. Following that, the only example I know is a Twitter post by Notch where he used the term "overworld portal". Typically it's more prevalent to just call it "world".

When it comes to the theme of Minecraft, I do have memories of reading Notch explaining how the natural (e.g. chickens, cows, pigs and sheeps) where divided from things representing superstition/the supernatural (creepers, skeletons, spiders and zombies). Supposedly would the Overworld and the Nether respectively apply to this. I've failed finding the original text however and hence should be taken with a grain of salt.

19. Space Monkey

Space Monkey Member

I will translate to Spanish if i have some time, but i see that some languages have more words or "keys".
    Which one is the properly updated? en_US?

[​IMG]

#19 Space Monkey, Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  20. radfast

radfast Administrator
    Staff Member

en_US is the "official" translation to translate into other languages.

Sometimes other languages (including en_GB) have extra text which is not in en_US and is not used in Galacticraft 3 - for example the flag colours are not used. It does not matter about that ... you can do what you want with it - ignore it, delete it, or keep it if somehow you will backport the same translation to GC2.