Want to translate GalactiCraft? Check this out!

Space Monkey

Aug 5, 2014
en_US is the "official" translation to translate into other languages.

Sometimes other languages (including en_GB) have extra text which is not in en_US and is not used in Galacticraft 3 - for example the flag colours are not used. It does not matter about that ... you can do what you want with it - ignore it, delete it, or keep it if somehow you will backport the same translation to GC2.
Ok, I did the pull request with all the files translated.
Now i only need to see if all the text is coherent in-game:D
By the way, wtf is desh?

radfast

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Made a Hungarian translation here
https://github.com/CaptainTurbomuffin/Galacticraft/tree/master/src/main/resources/assets
Also will it be indicated that it was made by me? ^^
Hey @CaptainTurbomuffin, I wasn't sure if you were done with your translation yet, because of the question about Desh. When you're ready, please let me know and we can include it in Galacticraft officially. I looked in your link and I did not see any hu_HU files yet? I'm happy if you want to credit yourself in the first line of each file. We will also credit the main translators on the first page of this thread.

Aug 26, 2013
Hey @CaptainTurbomuffin, I wasn't sure if you were done with your translation yet, because of the question about Desh. When you're ready, please let me know and we can include it in Galacticraft officially. I looked in your link and I did not see any hu_HU files yet? I'm happy if you want to credit yourself in the first line of each file. We will also credit the main translators on the first page of this thread.
I did something badly than, I tought I have to rewrite the US files to my language in my branch, but is it OK if I rename my hungarian US files into HU files? Or make copies of them? And tha I'll insert the original US files.

radfast

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Hey @CaptainTurbomuffin, I still can't find those Hungarian language files, I looked at the en_US also but it's all in English....

Maybe the best thing is if you zip up the 4 files (call them something like core-HU, moon-HU), upload the zip somewhere and give me the link. Then I will install them in Galacticraft for you. Then if you want to edit them in future, it will be easy for you - you can make a new fork, your files will be there as hu_HU.lang and you can edit directly online in Github and submit a Pull Request to have us merge the edits back into the official Galacticraft.

MrNaxeros

Aug 5, 2013
Enderchest
I finished translating Core file into Polish. I couldn't commit changes so I decided to copy-paste it to one of my text editors. Accidentaly i pressed ctrl+v instead ctrl+c and my work was gone. There was no undo option... That Github is really annoying.
Anyway since I very like your mod I'll keep translating your mod into polish. This time using Notepad ++.
Where can I send it after I'm done?

radfast

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
@MrNaxeros thank you that sounds great (except the ctrl+v part). When you are ready, just upload the files any place you like (for example, Dropbox) and give me the link.

radfast

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
I ran an update to bring all the language files up-to-date with recent changes in the en_US - see Github.

MrNaxeros

Aug 5, 2013
Enderchest
So... I tried that Github but when I'm browsing files through that fork they are outdated. Part of my .lang file is not translated and there is nothing about new items.
Any ideas?

EDIT: I just realized that I missed few lines. What does these mean?
gui.spaceRace.create.brushRadius.name=Brush Rad ##NEEDS TRANSLATE##
gui.spaceRace.create.eraserRadius.name=Eraser Rad ##NEEDS TRANSLATE##
gui.spaceRace.create.brushSize.name=Brush Size ##NEEDS TRANSLATE##
gui.spaceRace.create.eraserSize.name=Eraser Size ##NEEDS TRANSLATE##

Just explain me what those things mean and I'll correct it asap... If I figure out how to make Github let me edit it.

Last edited:

radfast

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
@MrNaxeros, sounds like your fork is not up to date. There is no Github button for syncing forks :( [http://trueg.wordpress.com/2012/03/26/keeping-your-gibhub-fork-up-to-date/] so the best is just delete your current fork, then go to the Galacticraft main repository page and press the 'Fork' button to create a new fork. Edit on your fork. Press 'Pull Request' when you are done.

The text strings you asked about are painting tools - like in MS Paint - so brush radius and brush size, eraser radius and eraser size. Try to paint a flag in the game (in SpaceRace), you will see the tools.

LividPumpkin

Nov 8, 2013
It will be really great if players are willing to help out by updating language files for GC3. You would need to do this:

1) Look in all four of the language folders for the different parts of GC3, which are Core, Moon, Mars and Asteroids:

2) You are looking to see if your language is there already - and if it is, you will want to look to see if somebody updated it already.

• The recently updated languages are:
Chinese - zh_CN - thanks to sb023612, XZzh and Mrkwtkr
Chinese (traditional) - zh_TW - thanks to mymagadsl
Croatian - hr_HR - thanks to CroComeT
Czech - cs_CZ - thanks to hunator
English - en_GB - I have that one covered
French - fr_FR - thanks to Linyor and bart74
German - de_DE - thanks to Vexatos with davidpox
Hungarian - hu_HU - thanks to CaptainTurbomuffin
Japanese - jp_JP - thanks to Lapiman
Polish - pl_PL - thanks to MrNaxeros
Portuguese - pt_BR and pt_PT - thanks to Ezer'Arch
Russian - ru_RU - thanks to Adaptivity
Spanish - es_ES - thanks to DavidSainz with Juput
Thai - th_TH - thanks to SteveMCCommander
Turkish - tr_TR - thanks to toltol

• If nobody updated it recently then it will definitely need updating, as plenty more of the Galacticraft text has now been made translatable. These languages need updates please:
Finnish - fi_FI
Netherlands - nl_NL
Welsh - cy_GB​

3) If your language does not exist already in Galacticraft, then check that it's one of the 62 languages which Minecraft recognises and look up the 'Locale Code' here: http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Language.
I don't really see Latin or Quenya as top priorities - I'm really not sure that ancient Romans or Elves have a word for Space Rocket. Even if the planets are all named after Roman gods...

4) You need to end up with 4 lang files which are like the 4 en_US.lang files, but (obviously) with your language after the "=" on each line.
  • The text editor must save in UTF-8 encoding. nice explains from @Wulfyk and @tyrantelf on the old thread http://forum.micdoodle8.com/index.php?posts/5680/
  • The left side of the lines (before the "=") must be an exact match to the en_US language files.
  • Every line will need to be translated, otherwise players will be missing some translations in your language! But if you're not sure about something, it's probably OK to leave the English text for now, someone can fix it later. And you can skip the "#" comment lines.
  • Lines with a "$" are long lines which can be split across 2 lines when shown as tooltips in the game - you must not use a "$" for lines which do not have a "$" in the en_US - but if there is a "$" in the en_US, you can use as many "$" as you need in your language text, that can be none, or 2 or more
  • Lines with "%s" or "%d" are lines which in the game will have a name or number in place of the "%s" or the "%d" - if it's a name, probably it's a player's name, or maybe a team name or an item name.

5) We sometimes update the en_US language files. It's because new labels get added to the Galacticraft code or someone spotted an old thing which still needs translating.
  • When we change the en_US on Github, we will reference the translators named above by @name - that way if you are 'Watching' the Galacticraft Github using the setting "Be notified when @mentioned" then you will receive a Github notification automatically. We recommend translators use that Github setting instead of the larger "Be notified of all conversations" which will fill your inbox with messages.
  • I will also post here when significant updates to the en_US.lang files are made. Significant updates on July 25 and August 14, 2014.
  • To make things easier for our translators, whenever there are significant updates your language file will be automatically marked '##NEEDS TRANSLATE##' on any new lines which need translation. The US English text will be there as a placeholder meanwhile.

6) When you have lang files which are ready to go into Galacticraft:
  • If you know Github then push the changes to your own fork of Galacticraft then make a pull request.
  • If you don't know Github, just post the lang files online somewhere and give us a link to them and we can do the rest for you (create a new issue in Galacticraft's Github to give us the link) - please name them core, moon, mars and asteroids so we know which is which.

7) For .lang files already in Galacticraft, anyone can actually edit them online on Github, it's pretty easy to do. The steps:
a. Go to any page of Galacticraft on Github (links earlier in this post).
b. Make a "fork" in Github by pressing the fork button - this fork will be personal to you, so don't worry, you can't break anything by changing stuff in the fork.
c. On the main page of the fork you made, look for 'src', then navigate into that and find the .lang files, they are in folder src/main/resources/assets/galacticraftcore/lang, or galacticraftmoon, galacticraftmars, galacticraftasteroids
d. Click on the .lang file you want to edit
e. Make a "branch" in Github by going to the branch dropdown menu (look for tree: at top left of screen) and choosing 'Find or create a branch'.
f. Edit the .lang file online (the file on your screen should have an edit button like a pencil, the edit button becomes active if you made the branch correctly)
g. When you're happy with your changes, "commit" the changes (scroll down the screen to see the 'Commit changes' button)
h. When you're done with all the .lang files, go back to your fork main page, hit the Pull Request button, this will notify us your changes are ready to be included in Galacticraft.

Edit by @Ezer'Arch: Topic split from here for better reading.
radfast hey i can translate the arabic lang if you want !

radfast

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
hey @LividPumpkin - that's awesome. Another forum member said a few months back that he was planning to work on an Arabic translation but I don't remember who it was, and a search does not find the post, anyhow we have not seen it so it would be great if you have time to do that now. The main translation of GalacticraftCore is the hard one, will take you a few hours, after that it gets better...

With the Arabic language I am worried about how it can be written right-to-left, for messages in the game like "Oxygen production: 10 /s". Probably there is a translation string "Oxygen production" with "10 /s" always being written to the right side of that, and the numbers will always be written in Western not Arabic numerals (I know Western numerals are Arabic but still they look a little different, like a different font). I'm not sure if we can change that without forcing all the other translators to update their strings, which I do not want to do. Your best approach may be to leave those specific messages in English, and just translate the other 95% of the mod. Do you know how other mods handle this type of issue?

radfast

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
More language translations are welcomed - remember it will really help the players in your country, especially younger players who maybe don't know English. Catalan - yes please.

Plenty of other languages can also benefit from translations, for example I can't believe we have no Galacticraft players in Romania, Vietnam or Indonesia ...

And Finnish is still begging for an update.