IsoMS

Jul 26, 2013
*Canadaaaa
warning!!
*This may contain spoilers for the next update*

Suggestion: have O2 mask provide air underwater

No milestone
No one is assigned

Well short story i found a way to drown on the moon. It would be nice to have the O2 system provide the player with air while underwater. that way you don't drown underwater say if you stupid like me and fall into a well.

2 participants

======================================================================

micdoodle8 commented a month ago

I plan on adding some sort of hydra-attachment or gear slot, since the next will have water (lots of it)... hint hint.

The attachment will work on any drown-able liquids. Until then just avoid wells :p

DarkGuardsman commented a month ago

K, was just thinking since the helmet is already sealed it should have no issues with water. Also i suggest instead of making a new slot just make an upgraded version of the current gear. Would actually be nice if there was advanced versions of the current gear. Maybe even a few with custom looks. Eg be pretty cool to be wearing a NASA moon walking suit. Though i suggest making it more of armor since it will be full body. Surprised you never did add it or add int heat loss since that is the main reason they even wear the bulky suits. I think i've read that dark spots on the moon can get to -200C

As well another idea i just had would be to create a version of the O2 system that can generate 02. I've seen some si-fi and anime videos were they used backpacks that use plants, or chemical reactions to create O2. We an interesting idea so players don't have to worry about it as much.

micdoodle8 commented a month ago

Yeah I like that idea, having separate gear for different environments. I was planning on implementing that anyway for extremely high heat and planets with high atmospheric pressure. I kind of want to change around some of the original stuff I added such as basic gear instead of full suits, but I don't like the idea of everyone on the moon dying after updating :p

DarkGuardsman commented a month ago

Do backwards compatibility. I use to do it for items really heavily by having them transform themselves threw a tick update. Say you want to remove an item you can have on tick update turn into another item. Or in your case switch the nbt and metadata to the new gear. The player shouldn't have any issues though do a field test by taking old saves and loading them up. If something goes wrong try again.

Last edited:

AcapitalA

Apr 12, 2013
"WARNING THIS MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS"
Title says: "Guess what i have found on github suggestion have o2 mask provide air underwater"

EDIT:
lsoMS changed the title a while ago. (thank you)

Last edited:

livid

Sep 16, 2013
Under the gas atmosfere of neptune there is a water-metan mantle and under it ice and rock

So, i didnt made a big mistake

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
Interesting read. I'd still think a regular oxygen mask should work when submerged in liquid, as DarkGuardsman is reasoning, is already a self-contained system with its own supply of oxygen. It's afterall how a basic scuba set works IRL. However, I do like micdoodle's idea of an hydra-attachment and the elaborated concept of gears with specific purpose. But instead of being a necessity, perhaps this hydra-attachment could be rebreather/synthetic gill that improves the performance of your oxygen gears when submerged in water? It could go into one of the slots you normally have a second oxygen tank equipped.

Assuming I understood mic correctly, he wouldn't have minded implementing full-body suits if it wasn't for some technical considerations involving the effects of removing the old system. Depending on how this dilemma turns out, we might eventually have spacesuits in GC. Respectively, there will also be suits for worlds with 'extremely high heat' and 'high atmospheric pressure', which is certainly what we'd get on Venus.

So, the next world will feature lots of water? That might possibly mean we are soon heading to Jupiter or rather Jupiter's system of moons. Specifically, one of Jupiter's moons, Europa, has already been suggested as a world that beneath its icy crust has a layer of water forming a vast underground ocean. Surely it would make an interesting world for the player to explore.

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
Assuming I understood mic correctly, he wouldn't have minded implementing full-body suits if it wasn't for some technical considerations involving the effects of removing the old system. Depending on how this dilemma turns out, we might eventually have spacesuits in GC. Respectively, there will also be suits for worlds with 'extremely high heat' and 'high atmospheric pressure', which is certainly what we'd get on Venus.
I think any oxygen mask should avoid drowning when submerged in liquid without needing any kind of extra module. But if you need aqua affinity, water vision, or protection against environmental hazards like heat, cold, pressure, poisoning air, dust or micrometeorite showers then you would need extra modules and special suits. The desh you find in Mars could work as asbestos for heat insulation.

So, the next world will feature lots of water? (...) Europa.
Ceres, a dwarf planet between Mars and Jupiter, is also a candidate.

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
Ceres, a dwarf planet between Mars and Jupiter, is also a candidate.

It's possible Ceres could be next, and it would be quite a surprise too. Although, its very low surface gravity would theoretically equal occasionally getting locked in annoyingly high jumps, so it could be something that has to be worked out before implementing worlds with really low gravity. Who knows.

The moons Ganymede and Callisto (especially the latter since it has been in the source code for a while) are potential candidates. Scientifically, Callisto is (also) especially likely over Ganymede to have subterrain liquid water. But rather than a vast under-ice ocean of Europa, I'd expect Callisto to be interpreted in GC to have an extensive underground cave system that's mostly filled with water. Large underground lakes and rivers could also be a possibility, giving the moon its own personal touch.

Douglas_Fresh

Sep 17, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
www.youtube.com
It's possible Ceres could be next, and it would be quite a surprise too. Although, its very low surface gravity would theoretically equal occasionally getting locked in annoyingly high jumps, so it could be something that has to be worked out before implementing worlds with really low gravity. Who knows.

I see what you mean about the gravity issue, but there is no gravity on a real world space station either (as far as the relation between objects and structure). In the game however there is minimal gravity just to allow it to be playable. So although it may not be scientifically accurate it is still doable. But that still doesn't eliminate the excessive air-time between every jump :/

Last edited:

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
I see what you mean about the gravity issue, but there is no gravity on a real world space station either (as far as the relation between objects and structure). In the game however there is minimal gravity just to allow it to be playable. So although it may not be scientifically accurate it is still doable. But that still doesn't eliminate the excessive air-time between every jump :/

It's indeed a technical issue that needs to be considered since the engine was never designed to deal with movement in low gravity, let alone in weightlessness. One possibility is something like a propulsive backpack system akin to the real life SAFER system. That would during usage allow the player a sense of weightlessness on space stations as you'd be free to go anywhere without worrying about falling down. Respectively, in low gravity worlds it could be used to break upward velocity to cancel out those jumps. However, an ideal thing would be if the player's jump strength was actively adjusted depending on the current gravitational force, so that you'd wouldn't end up constantly making 100 blocks jumps for the sake of overcoming a height of merely 1 block. EVA-packs would still be a great feature though.

Douglas_Fresh

Sep 17, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
www.youtube.com
I agree. I really like the idea of the SAFER system or an MMU. I suggested something before on someone else's thread saying that it could function in much the same way. You would just hover until you press a direction to move, at which point a very short burst of a jet pushes you forward. You would keep drifting due to inertia until you counteract the movement with a burst in the opposite direction. You would move a little slow to A) prevent you from losing control and B) prevent it from being too god-mode-like. It would also have a limited on-board fuel supply.

I wouldn't consider it a "jet pack" though because it wouldn't be strong enough to use anywhere except in low or no gravity.

Status
Not open for further replies.