[wip] Complete idea's of planets and a few non suggested moons VERY LONG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ops. The Xeno

May 3, 2014
Perhaps if you don't have the blocks, the radiation causes your machinery to go hay-wire, like in europa report

MoltonMontro

Nov 4, 2013
Perhaps if you don't have the blocks, the radiation causes your machinery to go hay-wire, like in europa report
It is possible to make semiconductor devices that are very resilient to radiation - at least for a period of time. This involves different processing and careful design and, as a result, they are not cheap to make. Typically they will use a silicon-on-insulator process and complete computers can be made (and are made for military applications) that can withstand around 1 megarad, which would be lethal to a human.

Reactions: obsidianpower790
Jan 8, 2014
Sweden not really swedish im dutch
It is possible to make semiconductor devices that are very resilient to radiation - at least for a period of time. This involves different processing and careful design and, as a result, they are not cheap to make. Typically they will use a silicon-on-insulator process and complete computers can be made (and are made for military applications) that can withstand around 1 megarad, which would be lethal to a human.
On the kuiper belt extansion i will take your'res ideas and ops ;)

Reactions: joloswag555

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
I think it would be kinda cool that for Europa you need to make a radiation proof armor and special radiation proof blocks for your base
That's right, there is a ton of radiation on Europa. xD

And even then is Europa's already lethal level of radiation quite mild in comparison to Io where one would receive 7 times more of the radiation. I'd imagine these two Jovian moons together with Mercury would be GC's significant radiation hazards (putting aside specifically located space stations).

A surface structure could indeed be constructed out of radiation shielded materials. Underground structures on the other hand would be naturally shielded by the surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.