WIP Space Station

jbjoseph

Apr 29, 2013
Charleston, SC
Still need to add a number of other modules and clean up what I have. More pics to come as it progresses. This is being built as a blueprint for a future survival design, therefore it is a sealed structure with functioning air locks, a greenhouse, and a planned fusion reactor to power the thing since infinite batteries are not craftable. Lastly, I detonated a red matter explosive about 60 blocks away that I'll be setting up one of the modules as a kind of "space phenomenon research station." Should be cool.

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
My compliments.:)

I see you planned out functionalities of your station pretty well. Mine was almost "just for the looks".

Did you use airlock frames as decorative block and daylight sensors for the solar panels? It makes me wonder about two things:

1) Airlock door should also work as horizontal doors, like trapdoors. In low-gravity, vertical movement is kind of easier.

2) Why doesn't GC have actual solar panels to generate electricity? I think that generating energy out of sun light makes more sense than burning coal in the space.

jbjoseph

Apr 29, 2013
Charleston, SC
Thank you.

Those darker pieces are actually lead blocks from ICBM. Also I thought it made a bit of sense considering radiation levels in space, the only bad part about that is replicating that many lead blocks will be next to impossible, currently exploring alternatives to them, might have to settle on obsidian. And yes, those are daylight sensors filling in as solar panels. Still working on how to make solar arrays look better, they're currently too small in that screenshot, still exploring alternatives.

All airlock frame blocks used are strictly used in the airlocks themselves, with that meteoric ore requirement I'm anticipating that they will be difficult to produce en masse.

I fully agree, I believe horizontal airlocks have already been addressed by micdoodle8 and they will be implemented in the future.

I know what you mean. Mekanism does have solar panels, and interestingly enough Galacticraft is compatible with Mekanism, so much so to the point that solar panels on a space station yield 3x the amount of energy they do on earth. I would utilize this, but to be honest with you I don't really like most of the stuff in Mekanism, nor do I like the textures used for all the equipment, therefore I don't use it.

I promise I'll be getting more pics up soon, been very busy at work recently.

IsoMS

Jul 26, 2013
*Canadaaaa
My compliments.:)

I see you planned out functionalities of your station pretty well. Mine was almost "just for the looks".

Did you use airlock frames as decorative block and daylight sensors for the solar panels? It makes me wonder about two things:

1) Airlock door should also work as horizontal doors, like trapdoors. In low-gravity, vertical movement is kind of easier.

2) Why doesn't GC have actual solar panels to generate electricity? I think that generating energy out of sun light makes more sense than burning coal in the space.

we'll you know now here in the latest build (549) micdoodle added the solar panels:)

IsoMS

Jul 26, 2013
*Canadaaaa
Yes. I know.

well thats nice for everyone,

except when it is becoming night time, when you have a full solar panel farm it wont generate any power if you are running the basic components of UE without IC2 and without coal you get into big problems.

MasterOanarchY

Jul 3, 2013
well thats nice for everyone,

except when it is becoming night time, when you have a full solar panel farm it wont generate any power if you are running the basic components of UE without IC2 and without coal you get into big problems.

It's the age old problem of cheap sustainable energy.

Oh and nice SS man. I might have to requisition one of you creative people to make me one.

Aug 8, 2013
mate have you managed to change the lead blocks out ? because i only have the mods Galacticraft, mekagnism,buildcraft so i wont have the lead blocks and is this sealed with Oxygen sealers? if so please please can i have a download link this is amazing