wire consuming power. not sure if bug

Frostthejack

Nov 4, 2013
when i connect an aluminum wire to a energy storage box it drains the power out of the energy storage box and it goes no were. it will send power to connected machines but if you just have the wire connected to the output and not connected to anything else it just draines.

edit: i see now that what happens is that the cable stores power in it a small bit of power which causes the energy storage to be incapable of holding the full 2.5 so if you connect it to another full battery then connect a wire on to that battery the first battery's wire see's that the second battery can still fit .1 mj so it sends power but with the cable on the other side preventing the battery from filling completly it will drain the first battery dry

edit 2: if you place two energy storage blocks next to eachother no cable one feeding into the other with no wire on either one even if the one being fed into is full the one giving power will continue to drain. right now as long as i have a cable running back to the first battery to feed back into it there is no energy loss

Last edited:

MasterOanarchY

Jul 3, 2013
Kinda like have 2 batteries in series IRL. Except it should do it with a cable as well. Thanks for info. I'm sure Mic will see it , and come up with a fix.

Frostthejack

Nov 4, 2013
yeah lol. If this is a bug its still an issue however it isnt something that affects me any more as im now useing atomic science combined with ic2/gregtech to make and store power. still useing the aluminum wire though with no problem. its acts as a universal cable and i do not have a power loss issue when useing it with other mods leading me to belive the power loss has something to do with the galacticraft machines

Douglas_Fresh

Sep 17, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
www.youtube.com
Yeah I messed around with it some. I'm pretty sure it didn't do that before. The ESM's don't lose any power as long as the wire is connected to a machine, but if there is a wire attached that isn't connected to anythineg else then it will completely drain the energy.

Frostthejack

Nov 4, 2013
for me it still drained connected to machines however it drained at a far slower rate as in it took a few real days of that chunk being loaded constantly to drain them

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
Accidentaly on purpose?
*cheese*

Metal wires have a physical property called "electrical resistance", it's measured in Ohms (symbol Ω). The longer or thinner the wire is the higher the power loss is. (I hate this The-The conjunction, sounds like poem :p). Your shower is the best example of this, it uses electrical resistance to lose energy in form of heat... so do light bulbs.

If you like math: resistance (R) is the division between voltage (V in Volts) and current (I in Amperes):

r=vi.gif

(There! Those meaningless numbers you see in the machinery and wires start making more sense. You were learning electrical engineering all this time and you were not aware of it!)

In the game, what's the point? It prevents you from making very long wires or huge electric networks.

Have a nice day. :p

Last edited:

Douglas_Fresh

Sep 17, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
www.youtube.com
*cheese*

Metal wires have a physical property called "electrical resistance", it's measured in Ohms (symbol Ω). The longer or thinner the wire is the higher the power loss is. (I hate this The-The conjunction, sounds like poem :p). Your shower is the best example of this, it uses electrical resistance to lose energy in form of heat... so do light bulbs.

If you like math: resistance (R) is the division between voltage (V in Volts) and current (I in Amperes):

r=vi.gif

(There! Those meaningless numbers you see in the machinery and wires start making more sense. You were learning electrical engineering all this time and you were not aware of it!)

In the game, what's the point? It prevents you from making very long wires or huge electric networks.

Have a nice day. :p

Yes, I understand how Voltage, Resistance, and Intensity (Amperage) work for the most part, but how does electrical theory and/or a unit of measurement for calculating electrical resistance (ohms) explain why stored energy dissipates when NOT connect to a complete circuit.

Douglas_Fresh

Sep 17, 2013
Seattle, WA, USA
www.youtube.com
... a bug?

*sneaks away*

Haha I thought that response was pretty funny. I'm not trying to be short or rude or anything, I just didn't know if you were refering to it losing energy because of the resistance or what. I mean it would make more sense if it did gradually lose power when it IS connected in a small loop like Frostthejack said about feeding an ESM back into itself. But if it's not connected at all then no current should be flowing, therefore resistance is irrelevant at that time, therefore no power loss. It seems it is doing the opposite.

Frostthejack

Nov 4, 2013
If its losing power because of resistance and being connected to devices then i can understand that. If that is the case then this is not a bug and is working as intended and theoretically should lose power at a much slower rate when using the heavy aluminum