Bigger and huge asteroids

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
I think some asteroids could be bigger. Not all of them. Big asteroids would be a fairly rare occurrence.

Currently the asteroids are too small to build a fairly sized base, inside or on their surface as most of the existing asteroids could fit in a 32x32x32 box.

2014-01-13_02.24.27.png

(download)

I propose that we could have some occurrence of bigger asteroids, like those in the screenshot: 64x64x64 as 1 out 4 occurrence, 128x128x128 as rarer occurrence, and a big one as big as The End main rock as the rarest.

The downside: I'm afraid I'm proposing something that could be a performance hit.

Last edited:

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
A believe there're going to be larger (and rare) asteroids for specific purposes. Though there also seem to indeed be some performance issues that needs to be worked out first with the current ones. ^^'

Nevertheless, I do like the idea of occasional asteroids of larger magnitude and is by default supporting it.

dj3520

Aug 14, 2014
gcf.dj3520.net
I agree these should be bigger. It doesn't seem like there's much to go after once you're there.
Is there any plan to do something with Dense Ice? Why not Compressed Ice from vanilla? Or is it meant like more dense than compressed?
I'm also quite curious about this. Does dense ice melt?

dj3520

Aug 14, 2014
gcf.dj3520.net
So I just found out that there's actually a dwarf planet in the asteroid belt called Ceres. I figure that it's size if implemented in GC3 would be a great place to start hosting the dungeon. Perhaps we could ask for things to be slightly more difficult and have only one dungeon and it exists here, instead of going to any randomly generated one.

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
Though there also seem to indeed be some performance issues that needs to be worked out first with the current ones. ^^'
I don't know but the very-tiny-bitty asteroids, those 1x1x1, may be the culprit. I also sometimes get chunk errors as you can see in the image, on the upper-left corner.

XJZwBVv.png

(can you spot the poker-face asteroid? :>)

EDIT:

I changed the asteroid textures and got this:

03tZriV.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Vigilantecow

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
Any direct observations yields a very low science value on this one:
ZYQULDU.gif

:p

I don't know but the very-tiny-bitty asteroids, those 1x1x1, may be the culprit. I also sometimes get chunk errors as you can see in the image, on the upper-left corner.

-picture-

Beats me, but it's an interesting theory to test by simply clearing those up. Unfortunately is generation specific updates pretty sluggish for the asteroid dimension since fishtaco is currently pretty busy IRL.

I changed the asteroid textures and got this:

-Grey asteroids-

Typically is asteroids pretty dark, but I'd imagine an artistic freedom can be taken with coloring here. There could be multiple main regions that has varied densities and compositions of the asteroid field to edge up the prospect of mining various materials. In that case you might want your mining base to be located as close as possible to multiple regions that each have their own type of wealth.

Also, similarly to how you have a Moon Buggy for surface roving, I'd imagine the player could as well have a vehicle for maneuvering in weightlessness. I'm seeing a handful of possibilities here.

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
Hmmm, pick an answer:
  • "Minecraft has no logic."
  • "B-but, this is just a game."
  • "Keep your realism with you!"
  • "Screw logic."
  • "I'm entitled to have opinions about facts."
  • "I want it like that. Period!"

Actually, I have a logical fallacy of my own to counter all of these referred fallacies: The fallacy fallacy ;)

Jokes aside, normally asteroids are depicted as if they were gray in the pictures, like the Moon.

It's wise you are putting emphasis on "depicted", since space imagery is typically enhanced (especially in brightness and contrast) for the viewer's convenience. Aside from it's appropriate for media display, it's also useful for the scientists who are studying it in the first place since an image of a dark boulder blending into the background wouldn't be that interesting.

Three quarters of all known asteroids are the carbonaceous C-types. This majority of asteroids have a very low albedo of 0.03-0.09, which is directly comparable to charcoal. The largest asteroid of this kind is 10 Hygiea, and you won't see it without visual aid from the Earth's surface.

The remaining quarter of known asteroids are silicaceous S-types (roughly 17%) and metallic M-types (about 8%) that are relatively brighter, with the former having an albedo of 0.10-0.22 and the latter 0.10-0.18 (within a similar range of the Moon's 0.12).

Source: http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/text/asteroids.txt

Also, a demonstration why it sucks looking for asteroids in visible light: http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/WISE/multimedia/gallery/neowise/pia14732_prt.htm

Generally when it comes to asteroids seen from distance its coloring speaks for itself as pretty bland, but older asteroids are typically darker with a reddish tint due to space weathering. The interior is likely pretty varied, as suggested by studies of meteorites acquired here on Earth.

On a kind of relevant sidenote: I'm totally excited for the ESA's mission Rosetta regarding its joint lander Philae. If everything goes as planned it will soon be the first time a controlled landing occurs on a comet (in this case comet Churyumov–Gerasimenko). :)

Reactions: Ezer'Arch

spacet&b

May 20, 2013
Hmm.. Are KBO's(Kuiper belt objects) and asteroid pretty much the same thing?

Also, what about the Near Earth Objects?(for e.g 3573 Cruthine)