Lander de-spawned with my rocket and landing pad in it.

QuadShot

Jun 1, 2015
Sun City, AZ
My lander started "derping", by rendering the rocket blast under it. I couldn't get my rocket out of it or interact with it. a few minutes later it was gone.
2015-06-05_22.26.55.png

Space Viking

Jun 30, 2013
Except from I've not experienced any stripped ability of accessing the lander's UI, it can perform abnormal behavior involving clipping issues and its thruster-FX triggering when it has supposedly landed.

There are two ways I know of how to replicate this:

1. Once the lander is within its visible render distance for the second time (first time is on initial spawn) it's likely to succumb to clipping issues and the thruster will burn continuously. Note: Unlike regular entity render distance being maxed after ~60 block, the lander is an exception by being beyond ~150 blocks.
  2. Incase the max entity render distance has never been exceeded the lander will typically emit a short thruster burn upon world-reload, with a probability of it getting stuck in a continuous loop.

I think this is about issues with synchronization and collision detection. The reason I know of it usually "vanishing" is because it can clip a number of blocks into the ground to various extents during premise #1. As for the thruster continuously burning, I think it's because of clipping causing the lander entity failing to detect it's standing on solid ground.

Since a landed lander won't fall again even if you dig a hole under it, I think demonstrating the clipping issue is easy enough. This image shows the lander before it got outside of the entity's maximum render distance:

gikclNY.jpg

This is after I ventured outside of its maximum render distance and then returned. It's notable how the lander has nudged two blocks lower (hadn't it been for the hole, you wouldn't be able seeing the descent stage) and having its thruster-FX on.

1YETT8n.jpg

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
It's not possible for any of the Galacticraft vehicle entities to "de-spawn". They can be destroyed by any player hitting them, by powerful explosions (including meteorites), and maybe by mob damage but I don't remember, that would need testing.

Assuming you aren't playing on a server with friends who are trolling you (?) it seems most likely the Lander entity has moved and maybe clipped so it is underground, like Space Viking said. Re-logging or going away and coming back (to reload the chunk) may fix that.

Unfortunately, movement / drifting of vehicle entities in Galacticraft is a constant issue, though minor. It's due to the way that vanilla Minecraft syncs movement and position somewhat inaccurately between client and server (including the internal server). If you look carefully, there can be minor movement or position glitches for vanilla Minecarts and Boats as well.

Why does vanilla have to be like this? Basically it's because there is a tension between the position of the entity being 100% correct, and between the entity moving smoothly on a laggy server (low ticks/s or bad network connection). If the position of the entity is always 100% synced, then it would have to judder and not move smoothly because its position would update only when a server position update reaches the client.

In Galacticraft our most advanced vehicle is the Astro Miner, which now stays always where it is supposed to be. If that proves 100% stable - I'm not sure that has yet been thoroughly tested, it depends how many players are now using them, including on Cauldron servers, on laggy servers, in conjunction with other mods, etc - then I can look at rolling out some of the Astro Miner's stability to other vehicles including the Moon Lander. The Mars Landing Balloons could also use some love.

Last edited:

QuadShot

Jun 1, 2015
Sun City, AZ

Ok, I think I understand (It's a great explanation), I did dig about 16 blocks down and about 10 blocks in diameter from where it was set and I still didn't find it though. Do I have to dig deeper? (I am in single player, and in peaceful during building "phases". I have arc lamps flooding the area as well, light level is 15 inside of the building, so thing shouldn't be spawning when I'm not in peaceful).

Last edited by a moderator:

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
TY :)

The Arc Lamps actively repel mobs - they will walk away from the light - except for Spiders which don't mind it.

I don't know where your lander is. I suggest the best thing to do is use the /dimensiontp command to take yourself back to the Moon, this will spawn in a new lander. I think the new lander will have the same rocket + fuel in it which you were entitled to from last time you landed, or else it will have a standard Tier 1 rocket + some fuel, either way you should be good.