Bioforming/Robotics

David Aronson

Jul 26, 2013
Usually we associate colonizing a planet with Terra-forming, but today I'd like to discuss a different approach, BioForming.

BioForming is changing the human structure to support other environments. This is often done through
  • Cybernetics
  • Genetic Engineering
  • Nano Tech

I'd like to discuss how we can implement each of these into GC:

My current idea is to split BioForming into Tiers, like we do with Energy:
  • Tier 1: Cybernetics, as it is the most possible of today's methods
  • Tier 2: Genetic Engineering, as has been done before with animals
  • Tier 3: Nano-Tech, as this is the newest of the 3
  • We can even add in the idea of AI in the future
Here's a explanation for how each of these would work in game:

Cybernetics: You can customize your character using a table. You can add in attachments for Arms, Legs, Body, and Head. I'll list some examples for each part
  • Arms: Strength, Mining, Blaster
  • Legs: Speed, Jump, Fall Protection
  • Body: Jetpack, PowerPack
  • Head: Solar Power, Enhanced Vision, Lock-on, Oxygen
Of course, due to being the weakest Tier, Cybernetic attachments will have durability that is considerable shorter than the other Tier's. Also it is limited to physical enhancements only.

Genetic Engineering: You can take genes and enhance them, using a BioChamber to edit the genes at once. Some genes you can edit.
  • Player-Genes: Genes a player has by default. You can edit jumping, speed, strength, and more. You can even evolve the player and lose the need to breath for example.
  • Mob-Genes: You can also add mob-based features to your genes. A cool idea would be to use the Alien Villager Genes so you can keep mobs away from you(I read about this before). You can also gain the ability to shoot TNT like the boss Creeper, adding an incentive to face the Boss.
To collect the mob-genes, you need to left-click them and then process the Genes for later use

You can also make weapons that change the DNA of mobs in which they kill them:
Example: You throw a grenade with normal creeper DNA at an Evolved Creeper, and it devolves to a normal Creeper, losing the ability to breath in Space.

The catch of Genetics is that they have a possible after-effect(Like an virus) when they wear off, which is done via overuse of the genes. You can however renew them.

Nano-Tech: You can enhance your body using nanobots in a NanoChamber. In this one, NanoBots can serve a large amount of purposes
  • Force-field
  • Invisibility
  • Player-Enhancements(No breathing)
  • If you want more examples, look up Deus Ex Nano-Augs
You can also use the NanoBots against mobs.
Example: NanoVirus

Nanites can also be used to make Carbon Nanotubes, a popular building material in Science Fiction.

Also you can use them to take control of mobs. You can then use a remote to use the mobs as a pawn of sorts. You can also use them as workers.
Example: Using Alien Villagers to work for you.

The catch of Nanites is that they run on energy. You can use a Charging-Chamber(Similar to the Cryo-Chamber) to recharge them. If they are not powered, you are a normal human, and that defeats the purpose of BioForming.

Future Ideas:
  • Robots: Making Robots that you can send to build things and protect colonies. This is a popular idea in Space Travel.
  • AI: You can make yourself into an AI that can control the Universe(Maybe a little crazy, but hey)
  • Alert Bot: Robot that warns you about incoming meteors in an area

Yes I'm aware this is a lot to add, but I just thought this would be interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 10, 2016
Also Bio-Enhancements to players
- Aside from Terraforming, People have discussed the idea of enhancing humans for different planets. Why not add some of that to GC? For instance add in Nano-Bots that protect you from Heat or make Oxygen for you automatically without needing a spacesuit. You can make a charging chamber, similar to the Cryo-Chamber, where you rest to recharge your Nano-bots. You can even add in combat upgrades. I'm just scratching the surface of possibilities.
With your nano bot idea, David, nano bots are microscopic and invisible to the human eye, so ummm...

----

just sayin

David Aronson

Jul 26, 2013
With your nano bot idea, David, nano bots are microscopic and invisible to the human eye, so ummm...

----

just sayin
I know.

I meant like editing the software for them so that they can have those abilities. They can enhance cells by releasing certain substances in the body that enhance it.

I know what I'm saying.

Aug 10, 2016
waddaya mean?

I don't get ito_O

oh I get it now, didn't read the whole post sorry. :D

but still, if they'r microscopic then how would you charge them? o_O

pra

Mar 7, 2015
Overworld
Nanobots are an established SciFi trope, I don't see the point of discussing about it. But also, what do they have to do with planet blocks as resources?

David Aronson

Jul 26, 2013
Nanobots are an established SciFi trope, I don't see the point of discussing about it. But also, what do they have to do with planet blocks as resources?
I was brainstorming lol.

Probably should change the name to Brainstorming Post

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
Probably should change the name to Brainstorming Post
Maybe your 1st post is not focused on one subject: you started the topic with a subject (Using Planet blocks as resources) and in the middle of the post you introduced another one (Bio-Enhancements to players). And people ended up focusing on the 2nd.

I suggest creating a 2nd topic and move the contents of either subject to there. Brainstorming topic will make people lose focus even further, tend to go nowhere and topics of this kind are easy to miss.

Last edited: