Pressure Logic

What do you think?

• Total voters

Woz2

Mar 10, 2013
Well, in an effort to keep it fairly simple and easy for the player, you (micdoodle) made the vacuum logic amazingly unrealistic. And also in the Yogcast vids, you could place water on Mars, which only has 1% the pressure and atmosphere of Earth. So, I propose you make it much more realistic. Water will instantly freeze on the moon when place and not contained, will evaporate instantly on Venus, and either freeze or evaporate on Mars or Mercury depending on the time of day. (both reach into the deep negatives at night) Also, up the death speed when not wearing your helmet to like 20 seconds. And a total renovation to the running out of oxygen (or not wearing oxygen gear), keep the chocking damage the same speed, but make it so you pass out because, realistically, you'd fairly soon be breathing in only CO2. So, you'd be like at half health and then you'd having your screen slowly, partially fade off (which your walkspeed lessens during) and then abruptly come back a few times and then finally you have the full sleep fade and you get game over. Each almost-passing-out should have a five second or more gap between them. And give the player some time to refill their tanks before they start drifting off. Make it seem more like the actual brutally hostile environment space really is.

Dalton Rhine

Mar 11, 2013
Well, in an effort to keep it fairly simple and easy for the player, you (micdoodle) made the vacuum logic amazingly unrealistic. And also in the Yogcast vids, you could place water on Mars, which only has 1% the pressure and atmosphere of Earth. So, I propose you make it much more realistic. Water will instantly freeze on the moon when place and not contained, will evaporate instantly on Venus, and either freeze or evaporate on Mars or Mercury depending on the time of day. (both reach into the deep negatives at night) Also, up the death speed when not wearing your helmet to like 20 seconds. And a total renovation to the running out of oxygen (or not wearing oxygen gear), keep the chocking damage the same speed, but make it so you pass out because, realistically, you'd fairly soon be breathing in only CO2. So, you'd be like at half health and then you'd having your screen slowly, partially fade off (which your walkspeed lessens during) and then abruptly come back a few times and then finally you have the full sleep fade and you get game over. Each almost-passing-out should have a five second or more gap between them. And give the player some time to refill their tanks before they start drifting off. Make it seem more like the actual brutally hostile environment space really is.
Then wouldn't the player just die of heat or cold? the thing about the pressure i agree with though

Woz2

Mar 10, 2013
Vacuum does the job MUCH faster than heat/cold. Except on Venus, where you'd turn into a pool of flaming sludge within a second, AND get crushed by the atmosphere. But ya, you would also insta-freeze. So a 20 second window really is too much, isn't it? Ya, your head would basically explode (all gasses expanding to fill up the vacuum, your cells having all the air sucked out of them due to the diffusion law of physics (which is normal not nearly as violent), and (as I said earlier) you'd insta-freeze.

Woz2

Mar 10, 2013
Although, for the record, if one where to tear their suit, they'd have 2 minutes before total death and like a minute before permanent scarring.

Dalton Rhine

Mar 11, 2013
Most likely the resons for "unrealistic" pressure is that it would require there to be pressure in minecraft in the first place and the codding in implementing it would by long and buggy. Then he would have to implement High to Low pressure physics.

Woz2

Mar 10, 2013
He doesn't have to do high-low entirely, because he can steal (or ask for permission to use and then use) some vacuum code from MMM. But otherwise, yes it would be a very long-winded and difficult task for something that really doesn't add too much. Like spending a half hour on a 2 minute animated video (which is pretty much how it works, unfortunately).

Dalton Rhine

Mar 11, 2013
I understand where you are coming from so don't take my words as hate just trying to explain that it would be a rather daunting task without help. Sorry if i offended you.

Woz2

Mar 10, 2013
I didn't take it as hate. I agreed with you and stated a possibility that would have time.

Woz2

Mar 10, 2013
Thanks! And obviously, if it isn't too much trouble, add a config option between realistic, and ...toonish shall we call it?

Kye_Duo

Mar 11, 2013
your blood will not boil. that is all a myth
you'll die of asphyxiation. during one of the vacuum chamber tests for an early space suit, an air hose to the suit came unlatched and the guy passed out in less than 2 seconds. they did manage to get the pressure back up quickly and the guy was unhurt.
you want to go that realistic?

Woz2

Mar 10, 2013
Nay, that was air hose rip. Just like a tear in a spacesuit. It takes a while to become a vacuum. And your blood will vaporize, yes. With the helmet, that was pressurized to perfect vacuum without any sort of gap. And I know you'd pass out faster, but one does have to give the player ample time to pull up the menu before is gets almost impossible.

Woz2

Mar 10, 2013
And as I said, despite how unbelievably hostile between absolute zero temperatures, sky-high radiation and thermal energy levels and liquids inability to exist in vacuums you have a whole 2 minutes before death. (Please note that thermal energy is the sum of energy within a space, whereas temperature is the average particle energy. Prime example of such a paradox is the Thermosphere, specifically the exospheric level.)

Woz2

Mar 10, 2013
Plus, Steve has no astronaut training, he'd suck in as much air as possible. And then his chest would go pop. Oh, and another major factor in suit-rip vacuum deaths is that your lungs remove oxygen from the body, rather ironically. So, it only speeds up suffication.

Mar 12, 2013
you should have a 15 second time period because in space you have about 15 seconds while your tissues decompress and you lose oxygen in the vacuum. but i agree the pressure is unrealistic

Woz2

Mar 10, 2013
You also have to consider the flash freezing and/or flash... melting. Daytime Mars isn't an issue with hot/cold (around room temperature, so you'll have that comfort as you while you die in insane agony.) , but every other planet during every other time of day has that problem.

Kye_Duo

Mar 11, 2013
Nay, that was air hose rip. Just like a tear in a spacesuit. It takes a while to become a vacuum. And your blood will vaporize, yes. With the helmet, that was pressurized to perfect vacuum without any sort of gap. And I know you'd pass out faster, but one does have to give the player ample time to pull up the menu before is gets almost impossible.
have you seen the test footage? there was no warning, he didn't know something was wrong then BOOM he was out. same thing with the people observing the test.
plus pressure can be nasty, small rips have a nasty tendency to rapidly expand, especially if the surface is under tension like it would be in a rubber-based pressure suit, which is what modern space suits use.
let this go...its not worth the coding time. I want more planets to exploit...er explore than worry about "realistic" deaths...I mean we have creatures that self destruct as their means of attack

Woz2

Mar 10, 2013
We also have terrorists that self-destruct as means of attack. I just really don't like that I can place wood on Mars, and that I can make an air bubble that will be perfectly pressurized when there is the vacuum of space just outside. And it takes longer to die in space than it does to drown in-game (I think, pretty sure)