Ever increasing tile entities in space station

PlowmanPlow

Jan 10, 2014
After the server has been running for a few hours (6-12) the TPS begins to drop, eventually so much that the server freezes. After a restart Opis reports the expected number of tile entities in a space station (we'll reference DIM15 here). After the TPS starts to drop I notice that there are hundreds of thousands of tile entities where there should be dozens or a couple hundred. These are not just GC tile entites. All tile entites in the DIM seem to be multiplied.

Server: Cauldron 1.7.10 #1240
Java: 7u71 64bit

The overworld nor nether seem to exhibit this behavior. Not sure about the Moon or Mars because there are no large installations there. The modpack is large-ish (reports 136 mods), but other than this seems to be quite stable. Any suggestions on things to try would be welcome.

Ezer'Arch

May 18, 2013
ezerarch.com
Can you open the dimension in the MCEdit? Back when we were experiencing some problems with Asteroids dimension, I opened the Asteroids dim of my world in the MCEdit and found there were thousands of floating rock entities stuck in the ceiling (it was a bug which is fixed now). Perhaps you can remove those tile entities manually in the editor as quick fix. MCEdit can also analyze what mod those entities are from.

Full logs are welcome.

PlowmanPlow

Jan 10, 2014
I opened the DIM in MCEdit and everything looked as expected. The station only takes up one chunk (although very vertically dense) so it was pretty easy to rule out unwanted entities. When the space station is first loaded there are the correct number of tile entities. For instance, there are about 45 Project Red Inverted Green Lamps. When first loaded, Opis reports there being about 45 of those tile entities. After time passes, there are around 27000 reported lamps in the same space.

There is absolutely nothing relevant in the logs. Not a single error in either the console nor in the FML log. It just silently slows down until the TPS gets so low the process just locks and I have to hard terminate (kill -9).

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Thank you for reporting, this is an important issue to deal with, if Galacticraft is indeed the cause. I will start looking into it. A few questions please:
1) Can you give a timeline for that 27000 lamps count, like how many seconds (or better, ticks) after the space station was first loaded.
2) Is it a Cauldron server or a standard Minecraft + Forge server?
3) Is the dimension possibly loading and unloading a lot (500 times? seems unlikely even if players are teleporting to and fro...)
4) Is there a chunk loader in the dimension? For example, a Galacticraft Launch Controller block will operate as a chunk loader, at least if it is active. If there is not one, please can you try putting one there - and if there is a chunk loader, please try without it.
5) Is it the same for all the space dimensions on your server or just DIM15?
6) Which other mods do you have which could interact with dimension loading? Maybe paste up an fml-server-latest log somewhere, that will show me the mods.

PlowmanPlow

Jan 10, 2014
1) Hours of real time. I'll restart the server so we have a baseline, then port in and check the count. I'll check again after a while, but it does take some time.
2) Cauldron build #213 with Forge #1240. bukkit.yml chunk.gc is false. cauldron.yml keep-world-loaded is true.
3) Unlikely. The space station is chunk loaded and never appears to unload when doing a TPS report.
4) Yes, we've used both Immibis' Dimensional Anchor and ChickenBones' Chunk Loader.
5) No one else has a space station. I've been discouraging them until I get this resolved.
6) ...
FML log: https://copy.com/OcO2P9Aex1Qj1H4Y?download=1
Modpack: http://technicpack.net/modpack/datpackredux.557163/mods

After first load:
Essentials /lag command reports 4266 tiles woth 4 chunks loaded (only 1 forced)
Opis reports 75 Project-Red Green Lamp
Time: 2015-01-07 12:09:00 EST

Second log in:
Time: 2015-01-07 13:53:00 EST
Logged in, TPS was fine. Opis not reporting any data from DIM 15. Used an Enhanced Portals portal to teleport to the space station there. Central chunk loaded, then the server hard-locked. No errors in console or FML log.
Restarted server, logged in. Space station loaded successfully when I logged in. No errors. Will let it run another hour+ with no one in the DIM and use the /dimensiontp command to go there instead of EP.

Stat Check:
Time: 2015-01-07 14:45:00 EST
Been logged in the whole time, but no one in DIM 15.
Opis now reports 6539 Project Red Green Lamp tile entities in DIM 15.
Tiles reported by Essentials /lag still 4266.

Last edited:

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Two more questions:

* is it only Project Red Lamp tiles which are 'multiplying' in this way, or is it all types of tile entity in proportion?
* what happens if you take away the Dimensional Anchor and the ChickenChunks chunkloader, and maybe just leave a player standing there for an hour to keep the chunks loaded?

It sounds like you have blocks from many different mods in this Space Station base and - in principle - it could be any one of them causing the issue, not necessarily Galacticraft. It would be a good idea to test another, simpler Space Station which only has blocks e.g. from Galacticraft and ProjectRed.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Log looks OK except for this, I don't know if it can be relevant or not:
Code:
[11:18:16] [Server thread/WARN] [/]: Cannot Hotload Dim: Could not get provider type for dimension 8, does not exist
[11:18:16] [Server thread/WARN] [DimensionalAnchors/]: Could not load dimension 8
I also saw mention of EnderIO Dimensional Transceivers, I'm not too sure what those are - is there one on this Space Station?

PlowmanPlow

Jan 10, 2014
Turns out this is a known issue when using older versions of Cauldron, specifically #213 and below. Updating to #215 with Forge #1272 fixed the issue.

The problem was with every type of tile entity in the space station. In theory, this bug would happen in other dimensions as well, depending on what was chunk loaded if/when players logged out.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Thanks for coming back. I'm extremely happy to hear that this is not a Galacticraft issue!

Reactions: Ezer'Arch