Galacticraft prevents MorePlayerModels from showing in-world

Pyrii

Jun 29, 2014
http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...-1-7-10-more-player-models-2-adds-a-character

When trying to use this mod with Galacticraft installed, modified player models/customisations don't show in-world (F5) but only in the customisation window (F6). Removing Galacticraft fixes this. I did a search in the mod's thread regarding galacticraft and the mod's author seems to squarely point the finger at how Galacticraft modifies the player class.

Noppes said:
Robbi_Blechdose said:
Hello Noppes,
I really like your mod, but I also like Galacticraft. I'm using Galacticraft since I'm on 1.6.2, but your mod won't work with Galacticraft.
sad.png

I can't see the changed Player model in the inventory, and I can't see it in F5 mode. It only works with mob models.
I've looked in the Galacticraft forums if it was already sugessted to make it compatible with your mod, and I saw this:

"PlayerAPI does more than just creates custom animations, so getting rid of it would likely cause a lot more harm than good. Plus, this isn't Galacticraft's fault, it's PlayerAPI and MPM's issue, you'd have to talk to the makers of those and try to convince them to make them compatible (which I'm not sure is entirely possible). Galacticraft isn't Player API, it just uses it."

I don't know if it's true, but can you PLEASE try to make your mod compatible?

Robbi Blechdose
Once again Galacticraft has no reason to be incompatible with me and it's something they will have to fix. They shouldnt be overwriting the RenderPlayer, but use the RenderPlayerEvent. Also galacticraft isn't using the PlayerAPI

I don't really care who's fault it is as Galacticraft does appear to play nice with Hats and I think Mine Little Pony (Haven't tested recent versions). Is there any way to resolve this compatibility problem? /src/main/java/micdoodle8/mods/galacticraft/core/client/render/entities/RenderPlayerGC.java doesn't appear to help things by completely redefining player model rendering.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Galacticraft has visual compatibility issues with any other mod which changes how the actual player looks - so other mods like Animated Player mod and Smart Moving will also have problems with Galacticraft. (My guess is they would also have problems with each other, and with MorePlayerModels - if somebody knows otherwise, please say.)

The reason is that Galacticraft changes how the player looks in 2 ways: it adds the helmet and oxygen tanks if you are wearing those, and it slows down the limb animation when you are in space, so that for example if you go bounding across the moon your arms and legs will not be swinging around like crazy. Galacticraft also makes other internal changes to how players work, so that for example the player will take damage if in an airless environment, and the player will not take fall damage if falling with a parachute. There's other stuff too, to do with using rockets. And in GC3, the player character will be tilted if you tilt the rocket you are flying in (and maybe in future in a few other situations too). All of these things are fundamental to Galacticraft - we can't really switch them off. And although some of them are only relevant when the player is in a space dimension, some of them are used on the Overworld too.

Unfortunately this means that for now the only solution I can see to the compatibility issue would be either for the other mod to make a customised version of its code which reproduces what Galacticraft needs to do, or for Galacticraft to make a customised version of its code which reproduces what that other mod needs. Both would be a massive amount of work. There's also questions of permissions if mods are not open source - we might need permission from the other mod author to decompile and copy their code.

However, compatibility is one of Galacticraft's goals. Even if we can't get 100% compatibility, it may be possible to improve some things. I am willing to take another look at all this after the first release of GC3 for Minecraft 1.7.2 which is where the current work needs to be.

See also: https://github.com/micdoodle8/Galacticraft/issues/441

Pyrii

Jun 29, 2014
It seems bad to over-ride the whole entityPlayer class just to change leg animations and add items to the player when other mods do so while being compatible with each other. Hats and MPM work perfectly happily with each other.

Aren't there any forge classes to allow better compatibility with other mods that change entityPlayer?