Development Making Youtube tutorials, on how to code an add-on.

SirKillz

Apr 20, 2013
I think it would be a great idea for someone who truly knows how to code to explain visually how to code an add-on. I would love to be able to make my own, but I don't even know where to start or how to start. I know nothing really about java, and this may seem like a stretch, but I would love if at some point I would be able to easily be able to locate things to quickly code a planet.

For example, if someone could do a video of how to set up a workstation to start to code a new planet with all of the following.
-How to add it to the Planet Menu.
-How to change the gravity.
-How to change the sky.
-How to set one of the rockets to be able to go there.

Now my guess is this is a lot easier said than done, but I would love to be able to do this. If someone could make a base template with a basic planet, and point out where those points are in the code so I could make a generic planet, with X gravity, and X sky, and X needed rocket, that would be amazing.

I know if someone could do this correctly, it would for sure help me and probably others as most people are visual learners.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
I'm going to weigh in on this one...

Please see what I wrote here: http://forum.micdoodle8.com/index.php?threads/galacticraft-simple-questions.4666/#post-35316

I don't want to discourage anyone from learning to code, it's an awesome thing to do, and making an add-on for a game you enjoy is a great place to start. But please don't kid yourself that making a planet could be an easy project if only there were a good quality tutorial to show you how to set up. As I wrote in that other post, making a planet is a hard thing to do: even for experienced coders, it's a long slow process involving a lot of frustration and things not working for no obvious reason. My concern would be that it could put people off from learning to code.

Instead of making a whole new planet, I would recommend as a project, making a new channel (we call it a "GameScreen") for the Display Screens. Those are coded with an API so that new screens can be easily added with just a small Galacticraft Add-On. The code of the existing screens is supposed to be an example of what is possible. Any channel added by an Add-On will automatically be in the game.

For guys who are still fairly new to Java, making Display Screens is a good project because you can see immediately from what is on the screen, what you have done correctly and what needs fixing. Half of it would be learning OpenGL 2.0 graphics programming not learning Java as such, but that's also an excellent skill for anyone interested in game coding.

SirKillz

Apr 20, 2013
I figured as much, there would
Be no easy tutorial. I just wish there was a way for me to have the galacticraft source, copy all the moon files or other dimension on my choice and then play around with gravity and textures and a few other things. I was not planning on distributing anything I made as it would probably suck or just use code thats not mine. Is there any chance you could do a tutorial as to how to compile all the galacticraft sources into eclipse? I tried following the wiki but I'm lost, and would prefer to see it visually.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
@Nick Killeen honestly it's super clear on the wiki already. I suspect your issue here is more a question of how to set up Forge in Eclipse for modding at all - am I right? My guess is there might be a YouTube tutorial on that part, but I'm not too sure.

SirKillz

Apr 20, 2013
Well actually I got forge all setup, and was able to launch the game jnside eclipse. I'm completely lost as to how I would add galacticraft into there. I downloaded the two files, one that contained the full build planets and core, and the other that contained micdoodle. I just don't know where to put these.