Starbound like Planet-Biomes (+4X Planet Management; + Minor Stuff)

Apr 5, 2014
Germany
man, that's a Stupid Title.
eitherway, i know that the Amount of Planets is Limited due to some Factors. like the Amount of Dimensions the game can Load and the Amount of Biomes/Blocks per Planet.
but how about Throwing theses Planet Defiying Biomes away?
Minecraft can Handle Multiple Dimensions, i mean look at RFTools or Mystcarft
[i tried to put this Whole thing in a Spoiler, but BB-Code doesn't seem to work, which is weird]

No Moon Biome, no Mars Biome. just like Starbounds Biome System.
Moons in Starbound have a Moon Biome, but that ONE biome counts for EVERY Moon in the Universe.
and Planets are the same, they got Specific Stats like "Ocean", "Magma", "Forest", etc. but the Biomes they got are the same on every Other Planet. for Example the Magma-Ocean biome is the exact same Biome on a Other Magma themed Planets as the One you are just standing (and Burning) on.

this would Decrease the Amount of Biomes the Game would have to load and also the Amount of Diffrent Blocks per Planet. of course you could also use somesort of Uni-block for Rock Planets with Diffrent Colors, by just using the Dimension of the Planet itself to Predict the Blocks Color. Just like Grass Blocks change there color Depening on the Biome they are Placed in, the Rock would change it's color Depening on the Planet it's Placed on.

but Trillions of Planets on one Map can get a Bit laggy.
let's cut down the Whole Map System a "bit".
to see the Star Map in the first Place you need a Map (a RF Powered Machine [1 m³])
rightclick on it to see the Map GUI.
first thing you'll see: there aren't really many Planets, mostly just Gray Squars with "???" for names.
also, the Map would have atleast 3-4 Zoom Levels:
1. Showing Entire Galaxies
2. Showing Clusters of Star Systems
3. Showing one Specific Star System with all of it's Planets
4. Showing One Planet you Clicked on with it's Moons/rings and Stats (When Explored)
now...
Just like NASA, you'll need a Exploration Drone to get More Information about a Planet, the Further away it is, the Long it needs to get there.
it will send back Infos like: Size, Gravity, most Common Resources, Day + Year lenght, Atmosphere, Terrain on the Planet, etc.
now, i'm not sure if a Steves Carts lke Assembling of Space Ships (and Exploration Ships) is a Good Idea, but Customizable Ships with Diffrent Parts and Stats like: "Fuel Consuption", "Air Resistance", "Energy/Air/Fuel Capacity", "etc" would be Pretty cool to say atleast.
eitherway, back to the main point...

after Having Informations about a Planet use a Simple Rocket to Blast yourself there, the System of "Flying to the Top of the world, then load the map and Choose a Destination" is gone.
now you need to Choose the Destination before you Launch, by Connecting the Map to the Launch Pad and Marking the Planet on the Map to fly to there.

But manching so many Planets on your own can get very Hard.
so how about some 4X Planets management, where you can send a Unmanned Ship with a "Base" on it to Harvest Resources and Expand bases on Planets from a Distance without actually Flying to there, maybe even go a Bit Further and Use TE's Tesseracts to Quickly Transport Resources on the Planet to your Home, (as not every Planet has the same amount of the same Resources) or using Mekanism or Rotarycraft's Ore Processing to get More from every Planet.

another thing would be to Get Informations about Stars (like Size, Type, Mass, Gravity, Light-level, Hydrogen-Level, Life time) to Build a Dyson Sphere around a Star to Produce RF. which Decreases the Light/heat Planets recieve from there Star (even Earth mabye) and Decreases the Amount of Hydrogen a Star has (which is Logical, since it is there Fuel). Diffrent Star Types would have Diffrent Light-Levels (Energy) and Diffrent Life Times. a good Example are Red Dwarfs.
the Stars would mostlikly be the Only things you coulnd't fly to (that and Gas Giants).

so, let's Sum this thing up:
# = Improved
+ = Added
- = Removed
New Planet System:
-Planet Specific Biomes
-Tier based Rocket System

#Better Biome handling
#"Infinite" amount of Planets/Systems/Galaxies
#Refined Map System (Exploration)
+New Planet types, like: Gas Giants, Drawf Planets
+New Star Types with Effects on there Planets, like: Red/White Dwarfs, Giants
+Map Block
+new Ship Types, like: Exploraion Drones, Base Carrier
+Ship Customization

4X Things:
+Planet management from a Distance
+Resource Harvesting from Plantes to send them Home via Rocket/Tesseract
+Dyson Sphere

in the End, i'm sure i'm not the Only one who wants to get (Passive) Resources from Other Planets, Power from Stars and just Beeing on Control of an Entire Galaxy. maybe even with Space Race Claiming? xD

leave a Comment when you got Things to Correct or to add when you want to expand a Specific Idea Further.
for you ask, i got the 4X idea from the game "StarDrive 2"

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
If you want a good 4X game, I highly recommend "Sword of the Stars - The Complete Collection". (Notice, not Sword of the Stars 2, that is a dud.) It's old but very good, see reviews on Steam.

Apr 5, 2014
Germany
If you want a good 4X game, I highly recommend "Sword of the Stars - The Complete Collection". (Notice, not Sword of the Stars 2, that is a dud.) It's old but very good, see reviews on Steam.
Wow, looks/sounds Amazing.
Uh, do you mean "Sword of the Stars I - The Complete Collection" or "Sword of the Stars Collection"?
I think you mean the first one. eitherway, I'm mostlikly gonna buy it Tomorrow. thx!

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
This: http://store.steampowered.com/app/42890/
It's on sale for 24 hours, currently around $3.00 or £2.00.

If you're not on Steam, it's $10 on Amazon US, or cheaper in Europe (currently £3.99 in UK)
http://www.amazon.com/Sword-Stars-Complete-Collection-DVD/dp/B008H0Q2YS

The key word is "Complete" Collection. That means SoTS 1 + it's upgrade packs which are essential to have the full game and proper game balance.

Don't buy the more expensive "Collection" which includes SoTS 1 and SoTS 2. SoTS 2 is not good, not better than SoTS 1 and not worth the money.

Apr 5, 2014
Germany
This: http://store.steampowered.com/app/42890/
It's on sale for 24 hours, currently around $3.00 or £2.00.
it would be Strange to not be on Steam... atleast i think so.
i'm not even Missing that much Money, which makes it Worse to go to a Gas Station Tomorrow.
eitherway, Nothing to say about the Suggestion? Nothing about the Pastabilities with the Biome System (or Mistakes in it)?
uh, Alright then.
EDIT: got it...
but no time to Download it xD

Last edited: