Here I go again... Tesseracts causes server crash on login, but GC related?

TheWhiteTyger

Jan 28, 2014
Greetz once more fellow Galacticraft pursuers. Back again with an all new error. Honestly, I have a very sneaky suspicion that Galacticraft may not be the true culprit in this case, but since the error report generated has a bunch of galacticraft api instances, I thought I would start here since the new helper mod author "radfast" seems to be very knowledgeable with interactions with different mods. I only hope I can get their attention. :)

Any-who, here is the pastie. I only hope that there MAY be a solution. Now, I got a hold of the player that had caused the issue and according to him, he was making a Tesseract network to replace the GC generators and energy storage that he had first built. According to him, he may have set it too close to a fuel loader from GC, which would make sense from the crash report.

P.S. Yes, I know I have MCPC+ instead of forge, and yes I have replaced it with the original forge loader. I have also gone ahead and renames DragonAPI mod to ZDragon-whatever to ensure that galacticraft is loaded first as per instructions from "http://forum.micdoodle8.com/index.php?threads/1-6-4-release-2-0-12-crash-on-start.3883/".
I'm about to delete the entire micdoodle8 API from DragonAPI and see if updating GC could help with anything at all.

http://pastebin.com/V0JEFzYW

P.P.S. If this error is not related to Galacticraft, notta problem. It would just be helpful if we had a sense of direction to address this issue short of having to edit the world with MCEdit manually which can be done, but hard since I have no knowledge of how to add additional plugins to MCEdit to see modded blocks instead of "future blocks".

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
OK, I'm interested in this. We've done a lot of work on energy and compatibility recently, but we haven't changed anything to do with Tesseracts so if this happened in version 978 it might still be happening now.

It looks like you are using Thermal Expansion 3, Buildcraft and IndustrialCraft2 all at the same time, is that correct?

Can you describe the exact configuration with the Tesseract so I can build + test the same. Like: you had Galacticraft wires connected to it, did you have any other wires on other sides? Are the Galacticraft wires connected to other Galacticraft machines - and if so are you trying to feed energy into the Tesseract or out of it? Was the Tesseract set to send or receive energy, or both? Was it a public Tesseract or a private one? (Sometimes other mods can only interface with a public Tesseract.) What other Tesseracts were on the same frequency, and were they actually sending or receiving energy?

Screenshots would be great if you have them, I understand that might be impossible if it crashes on login.

If you're the server owner and this is actually just some random player's base, maybe the player can describe the configuration or provide screenshots from before the crash?

PS. I don't know any way to make MCEdit see modded blocks.

PPS. If this is still a bug in the latest version of Galacticraft and we find a fix, you will almost certainly have to upgrade to the latest 2.0.12 version to have the fix - maybe, just maybe, I can tell you a couple of class files to copy into your r978 jar but not sure yet. Anyhow, let's find a fix first.

Last edited:

TheWhiteTyger

Jan 28, 2014
This is just a quick reply to let you know what I was planning on doing, and why it is taking so long for me to get back to you with the information you have requested of me...

First question: Correct, although we have more mods that certainly take advantage of more "power" for lack of better terms. Not sure if this will help, but for example we have Universal Electricity Core as well as all three mods above.

Here is a list of the full Feed The Beast Monster 1.1.1 mod pack list. We have only a few extra ones installed on top of this list, except for Galacticraft none of which SHOULD be using any type of power or power conversion.

https://feedthebeast.atlassian.net/wiki/display/PML/Monster+1.1.1 on top of which we have Galacticraft, Morph, Archamede's ships, Tropicraft, and Ars Magica 2 installed.

Can you describe the exact configuration with the Tesseract so I can build + test the same. Like: you had Galacticraft wires connected to it, did you have any other wires on other sides?

Unfortunatly, the best thing I can do is attempt to try to rebuild the same thing in his base. After the crash, I restored a copy of our world from backup where it did not have his machines. I will attempt to make a video of what I do or at the very least screen shots (build a little, take a pic, build a little more, take a pic and then before connections, take a pic.)

UPDATE: I am sorry this has taken me so long to get back to. (Family and all) I Will get back to this sometime today or tomorrow but I will rebuild everything and attempt to remake the crash as it occured before. If the crash log does not match this one, I will conitinue until it does then report everything back to you with far more information, pictures and video if possible. I do apologize once more for taking so long to get back to you about this but I will get back to it ASAP.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
No worries, take your time - I understand it may not be easy if the base has been deleted and the player can't remember what was there.

Maybe someone else will spot this thread and say "hey, I can make a crash just by connecting a Galacticraft wire to a Tesseract" - that would be good as easy for me to reproduce and fix the bug. But I noticed in your first post you said:
Now, I got a hold of the player that had caused the issue and according to him, he was making a Tesseract network to replace the GC generators and energy storage that he had first built. According to him, he may have set it too close to a fuel loader from GC, which would make sense from the crash report.
That makes it sound like a fairly complicated build, and I'm not certain at the moment whether he was trying to put GC energy into the Tesseract or pull energy out of it.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
@TheWhiteTyger Hi again.

Tesseract compatibility is now fixed in the latest build of Galacticraft.
It was broken in 2.0.11.978 in the way you reported, and broken again in the most recent builds (since 1038) for a different reason.
Fixed in builds from 1057 on.

To avoid problems in earlier builds, I recommend: do not receive energy in a Tesseract connected to Galacticraft wires, IF you also have another Tesseract on the same frequency which is sending energy, and is also connected to Galacticraft wires. One way to think about it (not quite true but good enough): Galacticraft cannot send and receive energy simultaneously, it can only do one thing or the other.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
And if you have control over your playerbase's modpack, I strongly recommend you should try the latest Galacticraft on your server, we have fixed a massive number of issues recently and things should generally be faster, more stable and more compatible between mods (see changelog). If you are stuck with 2.0.11 releases because you can't update the players' mods, you can still try using the latest 2.0.11 version on your server (that's build 2.0.11.1008 available at this temporary URL: http://2.iongaming.org:8080/job/Galacticraft/1008/ ). Any 2.0.11 version on the server should be compatible with any other 2.0.11 version.

TheWhiteTyger

Jan 28, 2014
And if you have control over your playerbase's modpack, I strongly recommend you should try the latest Galacticraft on your server, we have fixed a massive number of issues recently and things should generally be faster, more stable and more compatible between mods (see changelog). If you are stuck with 2.0.11 releases because you can't update the players' mods, you can still try using the latest 2.0.11 version on your server (that's build 2.0.11.1008 available at this temporary URL: http://2.iongaming.org:8080/job/Galacticraft/1008/ ). Any 2.0.11 version on the server should be compatible with any other 2.0.11 version.

I tested the newest Galacticraft v2.0.12.1010 and it still causes both client and server to fail to load, so I have reverted back to the last known working version (GC 2.0.11.978). I will attempt the new temporary fix GC and yes I do have control over the Playerbase's modpacks. However, I try no to send out updates unless there is a major fix.

I have tried to reproduce the crash as discussed before, however I was unsuccessful at my attempts. (I configured the tesseracts for either send or recieve only as I always do, according to you that may be the original cause by having tesseracts send AND receiving at the same time.)

For the time being, I can just announce that GC is not Send/Receive compatible with Tesseracts, that it must be either send or receive only.

I assume the problem has been addressed and that is the primary goal of this post to have the bug reported and fixed in a newer update. I will attempt the GC 2.0.11.1008 version and see if this can "HELP" us out until GC 2.0.12.1010 or higher can be integrated correctly in FTB Monster mod pack.

Thank you again very much radfast, I am in your debt.

P.S. never could get the original world to relaunch since our other player crashed it, so we loaded a world from backup and all is well for the time.

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
A pleasure, I am happy to help server owners + admins with issues of this kind, I know how tough it can be to keep a modpack server running smoothly.

The Tesseract problem has been addressed in the latest updates. Unfortunately, I don't have any way to patch the latest update into the 2.0.11 versions of the mod, as the update depends on a whole bunch of other recent changes as well.

I highly recommend the latest GC to you, there are many things which I would describe as major fixes (including a severe duping issue in a lot of the GC machines, also an energy duping issue with TE energy storage, and a whole bunch of other cross-mod issues). Changelog: http://ci.micdoodle8.com/job/Galacticraft/changes

You said 2.0.12 is causing your server + client not to load: please do feed me crash reports + FML server/client logs and I'll happily take a look at that. We are about to release the 2.0.13 'Final' version of GC2, and I would like to be sure it is as stable as possible.

TheWhiteTyger

Jan 28, 2014
You said 2.0.12 is causing your server + client not to load: please do feed me crash reports + FML server/client logs and I'll happily take a look at that. We are about to release the 2.0.13 'Final' version of GC2, and I would like to be sure it is as stable as possible.

Wonderful! I shall get onto that today and I'll be sure to label both client and server-side crashes separately. I SHOULD have some free time today so I believe that I can get everyone off the server and see about crashing it with GC 2.0.12.1010 implemented on both my client and the server and send you those reports ASAP. Many thanks for your hard work and Micdoodle8's as well!

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
http://paste.ee/p/HiXH7 seems like it's the DragonAPI issue. As you already know, there's an easy fix, see my post on this thread: http://forum.micdoodle8.com/index.php?threads/1-6-4-release-2-0-12-crash-on-start.3883

If it's not DragonAPI then it's the same type of problem in one of the other mods, meaning a mod loads an out-dated version of Galacticraft's API before Galacticraft itself loads.

The crash report is telling you that: see "java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: micdoodle8.mods.galacticraft.api.world.ICelestialBody.forceStaticLoad()"
So forceStaticLoad() is something added to Celestial Bodies only in the 2.0.12 version of the API, it would be missing from older versions of the API.

TheWhiteTyger

Jan 28, 2014
Sweetness! I'm gonna go attempt to just rip the whole Galacticraft API out of dragonAPI and see if that helps. I have read that thread before, but I seem to have completely missed out on, "2) Manually edit the DragonAPI 1.6 V19b.zip to remove the micdoodle8/mods/galacticraft/api folder. (If you are creating a new modpack, this is the best and safest way.)" If this works, I'll start a new thread if it is ok and upload a copy of our current config files and instructions on how to get GC 2.0.12.1010 working in conjunction with FTB Monster 1.1.1.

Thanks again, and I will be sure to report my findings!

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
Sounds great, should help a lot of other players and servers. Please give the new thread a nice clear title so people will find it easily - best not to refer to a specific version of Galacticraft.

I strongly advise that if updating a modpack either officially or custom, you use the latest Galacticraft builds (especially 1057 coming out today) instead of the older ones which are said to be "stable" or "recommended".

TheWhiteTyger

Jan 28, 2014
Sounds great, should help a lot of other players and servers. Please give the new thread a nice clear title so people will find it easily - best not to refer to a specific version of Galacticraft.

I strongly advise that if updating a modpack either officially or custom, you use the latest Galacticraft builds (especially 1057 coming out today) instead of the older ones which are said to be "stable" or "recommended".

(as Charlie Brown) AAAUUUGGGHHH! You coulda told me this first before I started with 2GC 2.0.12.1010 and uploading the new mod pack now. :p but all is well, i'll fix it overnight.

Thank you again so very much, it did in fact work and booted the server and client and went to moon/mars and all is well for the time being.

The thread mentioned will only refer to GC 2.0.12 and above since most of those with the Monster pack were stuck at GC 2.0.11.978 until now. Thanks so very much again, all it was was a damn API trying to take over, ha!

radfast

Staff member
Apr 27, 2014
At post #10 I did say this:
I highly recommend the latest GC to you, there are many things which I would describe as major fixes (including a severe duping issue in a lot of the GC machines, also an energy duping issue with TE energy storage, and a whole bunch of other cross-mod issues). Changelog: http://ci.micdoodle8.com/job/Galacticraft/changes
The latest version will always show at the head of that changelog, it's the best way to be sure you have the latest.

@TheWhiteTyger before you do more work tonight updating your modpack, please note that - as announced in micdoodle8's Twitter feed - we expect to be releasing GC 2.0.13 as a stable final release, maybe today or tomorrow. 2.0.13 will be pretty much identical to 2.0.12.1057 except for the version number. But for future compatibility (i.e. in case after the final release we find a game-breaking bug still, and patch it), I recommend that modpacks should be using 2.0.13. Reason is that - as I have mentioned here and on a few other threads - even after a modpack is released to players with a GC version in it, it will always be possible for server-owners to update server-side only to a later GC build within the same GC version. So if your modpack and players "officially" have 2.0.13.1060 (or whatever it will be), in fact at a later date the server can be running 2.0.13.1079 if we eventually release that - the players won't even know it is a different build on the server.

Reactions: TheWhiteTyger

TheWhiteTyger

Jan 28, 2014
@TheWhiteTygerI recommend that modpacks should be using 2.0.13. Reason is that - as I have mentioned here and on a few other threads - even after a modpack is released to players with a GC version in it, it will always be possible for server-owners to update server-side only to a later GC build within the same GC version. So if your modpack and players "officially" have 2.0.13.1060 (or whatever it will be), in fact at a later date the server can be running 2.0.13.1079 if we eventually release that - the players won't even know it is a different build on the server.

Now see, that's totally bad assery! Just solely because of that feature, I will definitely wait and update everything AFTER 2.0.13 is released.

Thanks again for your great help AND for putting up with silly n00bish mistakes. I'm still learning. But it means a lot to many people. Thanks again!